Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Question about reported contributions    

Question about reported contributions

mish.cz
Czech Republic

Question about reported contributions

Saying hello to all colleagues here.�

I �ve got a question to my colleagues here, which seems rather silly to me that is why I �ve been hesitating about asking it. Since I have become a moderator I try to find time to check the reported contributions and be helpful since I feel this is an aspect I should and want to take into consideration. And I always try to figure out how it is possible for all those responsible ones to find out which contribution is copied from somewhere when the link is not given in the ws. How do you manage to find the original material? I realize that it happens rather often that some new members try to "contribute" in this dishonest way� and I would like to be helpful, not only agree or disagree,� but I don �t know how to handle this...�

Could any of you please give me an answer?�

Thanks and have a nice day, Mish

8 Aug 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Hi, dear Mish! :))

I always use this tool which is very effective:

Hope it helps! ;)

Have a great new week - Silke

8 Aug 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Wow! What a great tool!
Thanks for posting.
It will certainly help me!
Sorry for hijacking your question Mish.

8 Aug 2010     

manuelanunes3
Portugal

Hi Smile

I trust my memory and when I look at some copied material, It reminds me I have already seen something like that somewhere else, and then I am going to look for it and try to find the origin of the document. As I spend a lot of time looking for nice materials in many sites it is easy to bump into many worksheets that some time later are copied by new members.
In the end and because we all do this and we all see many websites a day, there is always someone who has seen "that copied" worksheet in some website.
So, it is somehow easy to say where copied worksheets came from. Shocked

Best wishes
Manuela

8 Aug 2010     

mish.cz
Czech Republic

@ topolina

thank you, my respected colleague, very much for your kind response, I hope I �ll learn to use this soon:-)

@ franknbea

you are more than welcome:-)))

@ Manuela

What a pity, but my memory is �not what I can rely on�Cry so thanks for members like you:-)))

hugs, Mish

8 Aug 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Thanks Silke.  It �s a really useful site.

9 Aug 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

I would like to second what Manuela said - the same is true for me!! Let me just add that IMHO over time, you also develop a sure feeling for copied materials... ;)

9 Aug 2010     

Bruna Dutra
Brazil

I have a feeling that for one, at least, I �m able to recognize it with only a glance; the NBS worksheets

They �re quite famous around here and whenever I �m surfing ESLp for some material, I always come across them.

But I always type two or three sentences on google using quotation marks "."
with them, if I find a big chunk of a sentence in another website, I check to see if it �s a complete copy.

Like you Mish, I also �feel � like I need to help the site somehow, as it has helped me in so many ways in these almost two years that I �ve been a member.

Hope you all have a great week!
Wink

Bruna

9 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Hi Mish,

Can I just add here that one of the biggest giveaways that someone may have copied is often the glaring mismatch between the copier �s command of English (even allowing for typos) and the almost flawless use of the language in the worksheet. Taking a sample from the worksheet review and either googling it or using something like Silke �s plagiarism checker usually confirms any niggling suspicions. 

I guess it �s the sheer arrogant stupidity, duplicity and brass neck of these people that stick in the craw. Oh, and whining that you didn �t read the rules properly is hardly an excuse...

Anyway, have a fine Monday.

Alex

9 Aug 2010     

claudiafer
Argentina

Hi everybody! According to reported contributions, I would like to say something: I am from Argentina, and here we have english teaching material, which is not available in any other country, except those which limits are next to our. I would like to find the way to make that material available for those in other countries, without bothering my argetinian collegues. Could you herlp me?

22 Aug 2010