Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > A doubt    

A doubt

Laly59
Spain

A doubt

I�m in doubtful about the word  "the" I know that plural words don�t go with determinate article (neither indeterminate), but I have could see this: The children go to play at 7 o�clock. Is it correct to write a plural words with the? Thank you in advance. Greetings.

12 Aug 2010      

Zora
Canada

The sentence is correct.

You can use "the" before plurals (and singular nouns) when you want to "specify" something, make it a non-general "fact".

i.e.

The children (probably the kids in town) play at 7. - here you are specifying that it �s certain children that are playing.

Children play at 7. - here you are saying it�s a fact, that all children play at 7.

12 Aug 2010     

Laly59
Spain

I think that I understanded it.
In this text the word  "children" doesn�t go with the article: I�m preparing a work for children, isn�t it?

12 Aug 2010     

Zora
Canada

Actually, the article could go there.

You are preparing work for the children. Specific ones, the ones you teach.

or

You are preparing work for children. - would mean that your work is destined for children in general, like a worksheet uploaded here. 

12 Aug 2010     

sulekra
Australia

You can �t you "a" with plurals, but there �s no problem with "the".
Last week there were many cars on display in our village. All the cars were red and over seventy years old...
The Kangaroos are playing the Saints this weekend...

12 Aug 2010     

Laly59
Spain

Thank you Zora and Sulekra you are very kind
a big hug!

12 Aug 2010