Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Game to practise countries and nationalities    

Game to practise countries and nationalities

Yams
Argentina

Game to practise countries and nationalities

Hello dear all!!!
First of all I have to say thank you for all your worksheets, powerpoints, help and everything I �ve found here!!! This site has changed my life!!!! THANK YOUUUUUU SOOOO MUCH!!!!!!!

And my question today is, do you know any playground game to practise countries and nationalities? The level of the group is Elementary and they are between 11 and 13 years old.

Thanks in advance...

Yams

19 Aug 2010      

franknbea
United Kingdom

Hi Yams
I play a countries game with my students. We call it parrots
each student picks a country name for themselves, they usually stand in a circle.
The first one(it can be anyone) says their contry name twice whilst clapping their hands.
and then calls the name of one of the others at random and it �s that person �s turn to repeat their name and then select somebody else.
example std1 is Spain std5 is China std7 is Bolivia   std 1 goes first claps his hands and says Spain, Spain, (points to std 5 and clapping his hands says China China) then std 5 goes and says China China (points to std 7 and says Bolivia Bolivia)
The idea is that they get faster and faster until someone makes a mistake, then that person is out. The game continues until there is only one person left who is the winner.
It works with nationalities too. And no materials are needed.
Sometimes a student will reverse the game and send it back to the last player, this happens when the student can �t think of any country except the last one or to try and catch the other player unawares.

Anyway, sorry for the long explanation. I hope you can use it.

20 Aug 2010     

teacher jessie
Argentina

Mingle: you have cards with flags, 2 per country, give one card to each student. They have to go around the classroom asking and answering "Where are you from? or What nationality are you?" in order to find their match.

20 Aug 2010     

Yams
Argentina

thank you for your ideas!!!
great games!!!
have a nice weekend!!

20 Aug 2010