Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > hello friends!!    

hello friends!!

guapabr
Brazil

hello friends!!

Dear friends,
I�m facing a big problem. I asked for my students to do a portfolio, all the subject seen during this year. When i was checking it. I seemed almost 19 portfolios identics. I don�t know what  to do. It�s the last valuation of 4 � bim.

Give me ur opinion If u were me..What would u do ???

28 Nov 2008      

libertybelle
United States

I wish I could help you but I don�t quite understand your problem.

I also have a hard time reading your abbreviations.

What does 4 � bim mean?

Are their portfolios identical?  Is that the problem?

L
ps - please don�t think I�m rude, but as a teacher I really have a hard time
with abbreviations like ur and u. 

28 Nov 2008     

Zora
Canada

She means, I think, that the students have made up a portfolio of this year�s school work but 19 of them were identical in the sense that they copied from each other.... Personally, I would give them the chance to redo it, and tell them that if I see this again, I will take off marks for it and consider the idea of lowering their marks or failing them... It�s lazy and sneaky and they deserve to be taught a lesson that that is not acceptable.. 

28 Nov 2008     

libertybelle
United States

At our school, portfolios are bits and pieces of the best work each
individual student has done during the school year.
They choose, themselves what they want in the portfolio and
it is often the basis for the parent/teacher conference.
For example, their best essay, grammar worksheet, best whatever.

But if portfolio is different from country to country, then I agree.
Take them down a grade- because cheating is not acceptable.
L

28 Nov 2008     

alien boy
Japan

Yes, it is a difficult topic!

Before being able to give an opinion I�d need to know more about the curriculum you use.

For example, where I work in Japan the curriculum is very specific - there are set textbooks, notebooks & workbooks that the students use. The only variation from these are the additional worksheets & activities I provide. The students� notebooks, workbooks & folios are reviewed by their Japanese English teacher & I on a regular basis. With this curriculum I expect 90% of the folios to be identical. Of the other 10%, most of them would be incomplete & only a handful would include additional work (maybe 5 students out of 250 would provide truly original additional work).

If you provide some more detail about your coursework & intended outcomes some of the brilliant members here can give you some good ideas & opinions!

Good luck,
B-)

28 Nov 2008     

miss_marina...
Chile

Hi Guapa!!

First of all, thanks for sharing your problem... since I�ve just starting teaching, this is really helpful for me.

The portfolio�s main objective is to assess the process of acquiring knew knowledge and also, to assess their own development. So, in my opinion, If I were you, I would emphasize that to my students and also, I�d took the 19 portfolios and took some points out of their final score. They should know that portfolios are as important as any form of assessment.
Hug

28 Nov 2008