Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

lshorton99
China

Word of the Day

Hi everyone

frank has asked me to substitute with the Word of the Day as he �s away for a few days!

Today �s word is: rebarbative

Remember - no looking the word up in a dictionary - you can guess logically ir just be entertaining!

Have fun!

Lindsey

22 Aug 2010      

Poohbear
Germany

-ive tells me it must be an adjective...
re- says: against or again...

Maybe: desperately in need of going to the barber �s shop again...????

or: the feeling of strongly objecting to a barber�s shop?

22 Aug 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

either something that makes your beard grow back
or something that makes you look like a barbie doll
or maybe a special set of accesories you can order for your barbie to give her a more rugged, hairy and realistic look.....

22 Aug 2010     

stefemma
France

Well we have the word "r�barbatif" in French meaning: something repetitive and boring, so I guess it has the same meaning!
Is is correcy???

22 Aug 2010     

Greek Professor
Greece

Good Morining...

Sounds like the Barber came again.... ha ha ha

22 Aug 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I know the French word, r�barbatif, which is an anagram of �er...barf a bit �, so something that kinda makes you want to puke?

22 Aug 2010     

mariannina
Italy

re-barba-tif...barbarian? Barbarus in ancient Rome was a person who didn �t speak Latin, so a "different person".  Nowadays, in Italy, we call barbarian someone who is rude and impolite...
Is the word something related to keep people at distance, not to mingle with?
I � very curious!
Have a nice day

22 Aug 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

Hi all!!

Rebarbative= Unattractive and objectionable.

It�s a word of no great age: it only began to appear at the end of the nineteenth century. It�s still uncommon, though you may spot it in the more erudite newspapers or in the work of writers with more power to their pens than most of us: Frank!!

The touch of weirdness in this word comes not from its unusualness but from its history. If the middle bit of rebarbative makes you think of barbers (Greek- Professor, Poohbear), you�re on the right track � the ultimate source is Latin barba, beard. Rebarbative came into English from the French r�barbatif with the same sense. This has been in French since the fourteenth century � it derives from the verb se rebarber, which referred to two men squaring up face to face, beard to beard, in close-quartered and hairy aggressiveness.

Rebarbative = Repellent (Spanish)

It �s so boiling hot and humid today that my place is full of mosquitoes so I �m rushing to get some" insect rebarbative" Wink

22 Aug 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Rebarbative - something to do with reapplying barb wire around one�s prized possessions

22 Aug 2010     

lshorton99
China

Looks like Anaisabel wins the prize today!

Rabarbative does indeed mean repellent, serving or tending to irritate or repel.

Just to add - today �s word of the day came courtesy of - my mother! It �s one of her favourite words.

As I �m only subbing for Frank there �s no ice cream or drinks as prizes - sorry!

Lindsey

22 Aug 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Dear Lindsey we received two prizes: fun and learning!
Thank you
Thumbs Up

22 Aug 2010     

1    2    Next >