Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day    

Word of the Day

franknbea
United Kingdom

Word of the Day

Good Morning to All!

Today �s word is: Estrapade

all guesses welcome, good luck!

8 Sep 2010      

douglas
United States

I think this has something to do with making a big scene or show about something.

"There was a big estrapade about who could serve themselves at the buffet first."

or

E=energy

strap=spare the strap spoil the child

ade= as in lemonade

estrapade= an energy drink that gives you energy for applying the strap

((Note: I DO NOT beat my children nor do I condone it.))

8 Sep 2010     

donapeter
Romania

First of all ...I think some members do not know the rules of the game........so...please Frank , state them again and again!  

Secondly .....it is not "estrapade" but" L �Estrapade" and it is reaaaaaallllyyyy yaaamyyyy yammyyyy. One of the best restaurants in France! So...I guess it means:" really exquisite food" Approve 

OMG OMG...I�ve just seen what L�estrapade means!!! I won�t ever ever eat there!!!!!!! 

8 Sep 2010     

franknbea
United Kingdom

Clap none of us doubt it Douglas!
Strap indeedLOL

Ps, Dona, there�s nothing wrong with the menu at L� Estrapade! I ate there three years ago
and the charming waiter even offered to remove the fly from my soup for an extra EuroLOL

8 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

Estrapade: estra - fat; pade - the padded parts.
She �s rather estrapadded round the rear end = she �s got a big bum.

8 Sep 2010     

donapeter
Romania

I �ve checked the meaning of the word L �estrapade -in French- upppsss....it freaked me out.

8 Sep 2010     

lamyaa
Egypt

"estra"  like estragneire = italian word for foreigner

Estrapade  mmm , well estranged may be ?

8 Sep 2010     

Poohbear
Germany

estra should read eXtra, meaning additional
pade like pace, that is step

so - taking a detour, going a longer way than originally meant...?

(Today I made it in time! Big smile)

8 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

Ok, I am going to be really bad here, and maybe a bit politically "incorrect"even ... but estrapade is something a hillbilly gardener with a lisp might use!

"Hey, Joe yous gotta an estraspade, (extra spade) I can use for hoeing me veggie garden in yous shed?"

"No Tom. I got no spade in me shed. Ask Pete, me thinkin�he�s got an extra spade you can use tho."

Tongue

*Ok, I will leave now - sorry, I couldn�t resist...*

8 Sep 2010     

mirelli
Brazil

Hi all...I love Frank �s words...every morning I log in just to check the meanings....lol

Estrapade means busted...Wacko....I think...

have a good day!

8 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

My mind is a complete blank here - perhaps it �s been estrapaded, but I won �t know till Frank gives us the final clue (I �m a good student and I listen to teacher, so I won �t check the dictionary in advance)...

(Btw, we had a similar quiz like this in Croatia called Geniuses, but the contestants were allowed yes-no questions such as Is it something about food? Is it something about money? Is it a noun? etc. I played it with my teenagers in English (this Word of the Day is a reminder, so thanks, Frank) and it was a blast. Needless to say - their favourite question was: Is it something about sex?)

8 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >