Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Comparatives and superlatives    

Comparatives and superlatives

valfairyrose
Uruguay

Comparatives and superlatives

Hello!
Well, i have to prepare a class about comparatives and superlatives for a basic level, the average age is 20 so... what can you suggest to do it more interesting, or what advices can you give me.
Thanks!

Val

17 Sep 2010      

Chilvis
Argentina

If they are mostly men or if they are not but they are interested in sport you could compare sport stars as well as different sports or clubes or national teams, etc.

For example you can prepare cards with information about some players and then make comparative and superlative sentences talking about them. In this way you can use both short and long adjectives (I don �t know if you want to introduce both short and long adj in the same class)

By the way, I don �t mean to correct you and please don �t take it wrong because I make a lot of mistakes myself but I think your question should be:      what advice can you give me? 

advice is an uncountable noun so you cannot say advices

Hope it helps
Have a great day  ; )

17 Sep 2010     

SueThom
United States

You might consider having them compare something they like/want to buy, etc.  For example, cell phones (smaller, heavier, cheaper, more minutes, longer contract, etc.) or restaurants, flats, TVs, computers, or whatever they like.

18 Sep 2010     

valfairyrose
Uruguay

Chilvis: By the way, I don �t mean to correct you and please don �t take it wrong because I make a lot of mistakes myself but I think your question should be:      what advice can you give me?
Please, that is the kind of correction that help, valuable, thanks

All your ideas are great!
Thanks a lot!

18 Sep 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello Valeria,

I recently submitted a six-page Worksheet on Adjectives, Comparatives and Superlatives to ESLP.  If you send me your e-mail address, I�ll forward it to you as an Attachment and you don�t need to lose a point.  It has several exercises.  Page 5 can be made into an Overhead Projector Transparency (OHP) for class discussion, Speaking, Listening, Reading, Writing - "Ann is older than Jill"; "Tom is heavier than Ali"; "Ann is the richest"; etc.  You are free to use it, if you wish.

Les Douglas

18 Sep 2010