Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > game to practice simple past    

game to practice simple past

Yams
Argentina

game to practice simple past

Hello!!!!!!!! how are you?

I was trying to look for a very fun game to practice the simple past with my younger students. Tomorrow we are celebrating students � day here in Argentina, we don �t have classes so at school we have to prepare some activities with our students to celebrate their day on Wednesday. that �s why I need a fuuuuuuun game, so in that way, they �re learning and playing.
I �m clueless, could you help me?

thanks!!!!

20 Sep 2010      

olaola
Italy

try this:

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=400369#thetop

or this:
You could play a memory game. Perhaps you know the game �I went to the market and I bought... �
So, to practise past simple you can easily use a variation - it might help your Ss remember the past verb forms as well as help them become more fluent and learn some fixed phrases. Tell them to use their immagination :)

You begin by saying, for example: Last summer I went to the seaside (or I went to Scotland - anything will do here).
Student 1 says: Last summer I went to the seaside. I swam every day.
Student 2 says: Last summer I went to the seaside, I swam every day and I visited 10 haunted castles. And so on...

20 Sep 2010     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

MIME: divide students into two teams, students mime a card for their team.

easy version: show a verb flash card.  I count down from ten as they mime and according to when the team  gets the past verb they get the corresponding points.

hard version:
write  sentences on cards, eg  Yesterday I went to the beach. Yestersay I ate an enormous pizza. Ss mime the whole sentence.  Give them 2 minutes for example.

great fun!

20 Sep 2010     

Yams
Argentina

great ideas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you soooooooooooo much!!!!!!!!

20 Sep 2010     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Hello!

I played a funny cartoon http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjNmZE-aKJU for my younger students and asked them to name all the actions as the cartoon was played. We had lots of fun, really.�

20 Sep 2010     

khaluf
Iraq

Great cooperation, thanks all

20 Sep 2010