Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Word of the Day Redux - 2nd sitting    

Word of the Day Redux - 2nd sitting

almaz
United Kingdom

Word of the Day Redux - 2nd sitting

Today �s word is houghmagandy. The night shift (Spanish time) came up with some crackers:

A quick reminder of the new set-up:

today �s setter (me, in this case) chooses the �funniest � definition from today �s contributions (yes, it �s highly subjective and, if the truth be told, damn difficult given the high standards of what �s come in so far) and passes the baton on to that contributor who then becomes tomorrow �s setter and so on...
(see Frank �s last word here)

21 Sep 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

It �s what Santa Claus says when the elves have finished producing all the sweets he delivers to the children on Christmas Day!!

He traditionally shouts: "houghmagandy!" ---> Ho, (there �s) my candy!

hough = ho (Santa says "ho-ho-ho" all the time, remember?!)
ma = my
gandy = candy

21 Sep 2010     

stefemma
France

One of Mahatma Gandhi �s hidden sons?!?

21 Sep 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Title of the karaoke version of Barry Manilow �s smash hit (oh) Mandy, slightly adapted for mild Scottish stutterers.

21 Sep 2010     

leonidas75
Spain

It �s the name of the sub-language used at the end of a long night at the pub.

Chomsky is said to be the creator of such term, based on his own experience: "When I arrived home I whispered "I �m home again, dear" in my wife �s ear. Next day she asked me what new language I had learned the previous night. Her sentence made me think hard about it... after the hangover, of course".

21 Sep 2010