Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Debate Time!!!    

Debate Time!!!

valfairyrose
Uruguay

Debate Time!!!

Is the increase in technology within the classroom increasing the level of teaching and learning?

Say YES or NO and support your ideas.

Val.

22 Sep 2010      

EvaRamos
Panama

Hello Val,
   In a recent video conference that my students and I had with an expert in using Web 2.0 (Prof. Michael Krauss) , we came to an important conclusion.  A good teacher will always be a good teacher with or without technology.  Technology enhances the teaching-learning process, but it is just a tool that requires a good teacher in order to have good results.

Regards,
Eva

22 Sep 2010     

yulya_esl
Ukraine

I totally agree with Eva! Even don �t know what to add )))

Yulya

22 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

It sure helps when it comes to learning/understanding different accents.

22 Sep 2010     

anitarobi
Croatia

If you know what you �re doing and WHY, and you find that perfect balance between technology and �tradition �, then by all means -YES!!!!

22 Sep 2010     

Zora
Canada

I really agree with Eva. Also, I �d like to say that relying on technology is not good; simply because every student is different in the way that they learn. Some are kinaesthetic, some are visual, auditive or reading and writing (like actually writing with a pen, not using a keyboard writing) ... and a computer or technology doesn�t always meet those needs... only a person can.

22 Sep 2010     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I use computers in my lessons, and I find it a useful tool, but I agree that a good teacher is a good teacher and less good teacher is a less good teacher and technology isn �t going to change that.

Hugs from Israel
Judy

22 Sep 2010     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I think that computers make the teachers life easier because it �s a powerful tool. Without computers, how could we have sites like this one and so many others, listenings, articles and so on. But, without a good teacher, technology doesn �t help. I gave classes long before we had computers or internet. I worked the same way I do now  , but is was more difficult to prepare suitable lessons. The students, on the other hand, learnt the language as they do now. 

22 Sep 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I love technology but dare I say that it has actually increased my workload rather than decreased it.
It amused me the other day at work when we had a major power cut. Lights went out..the smartboard died!  Some teachers panicked, closed down their classes and a few actually sent the students home. I just moved from the smartboard and continued my point on the whiteboard as I used to in the �good old days �.

So what I am saying is: use everything available but never dismiss the old methods..they still have their uses.
Cheers Joy

22 Sep 2010     

Jayho
Australia

Technology can be a help and a hindrance.  It depends on multiple factors.  I love using basic technology in the classroom but I do not embrace the more whizz bang stuff, like smart board and e-beam, for a number of reasons.

22 Sep 2010     

valfairyrose
Uruguay

Great opinions all of you,
I think that technology it is a great development. It is easier to find resourses, listening, or even provide our students with son web link to encourage them the practicing of diferent skill.
 Eva said exactly what i was thinking about when i posted the question.
Kisses
Val

22 Sep 2010