Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > "Word of the Day"    

"Word of the Day"

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Word of the Day"

Hello, everybody.

Silke has done me the great compliment of asking me to choose the next "Word of the Day".

I �m a bit of an antidisestablishmentarianism person myself, but this is the first time that I have been honorificabilitudinitatibus, and I find myself unable to speak.

However, I must try to choose an appropriate word.

Tell me, colleagues, who, or what, is:

a quiddler (noun)

Submit your definitions.  The dafter, the better.  You know the rules.  I will choose from among the submissions the wittiest one, and that person gets to choose the subsequent "Word of the Day".  But no cheating!  No dictionaries or surfing the Internet.

Good Luck!

Les 

23 Sep 2010      

juliag
Japan

someone who quibbles about the rules of quidditch of course!

23 Sep 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

A quiddler is another name for a fiddler who plays the fiddle on the streets for a quid or two, or maybe three.

23 Sep 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

It comes from the latin Quid pro quo which means something like give and take.  A quiddler describes most of the people in the reported worksheets section.  A quiddler is someone who takes from society and gives back only what is worthless or belonging to another.

23 Sep 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

A quiddler is a lazy person who quits any activity after a while / or if he gets bored / tired...
Quiddlers are students - lazybones who do as little as possible, never put much effort into homeworks and studying and so when they grow up they are paid just a few quids...
Disapprove

23 Sep 2010     

Lucia13
Armenia

so creative moravc:)

23 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

someone that begs for quid (UK money)?

23 Sep 2010     

iang
United Kingdom

a con artist who diddles people out of their quids (�1) ?

23 Sep 2010     

stefemma
France

a person who quiddles! Although I have no idea what "quiddle" means! Wink

23 Sep 2010     

Apodo
Australia

A counterfeiter of pound notes.   A diddler of quids:  a quid -diddler = quiddler.

Or someone who asks riddles when chewing tobacco.

23 Sep 2010     

anaisabel001
Spain

The crux of the matter = �El quid de la cuesti�n�(Spanish).

A quiddler must be somebody who loves using Shakespeare�s quote:�To be or not to be..that�s the quid of the question�Confused.

Have anice day!!! Hug

23 Sep 2010     

1    2    Next >