Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Word of the Day - Second Shift    

Word of the Day - Second Shift

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Word of the Day - Second Shift

Dear Colleagues,

The word is:

"quiddler"

Here is a link to what I wrote yesterday (my time) so that it �s currently available to everyone. 

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=22582&page=1

We �ve had some cracking definitions, so --- now it �s your turn!

Les

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

"Word of the Day"

Hello, everybody.

Silke has done me the great compliment of asking me to choose the next "Word of the Day".

I �m a bit of an antidisestablishmentarianism person myself, but this is the first time that I have been honorificabilitudinitatibus, and I find myself unable to speak.

However, I must try to choose an appropriate word.

Tell me, colleagues, who, or what, is:

a quiddler (noun)

Submit your definitions.  The dafter, the better.  You know the rules.  I will choose from among the submissions the wittiest one, and that person gets to choose the subsequent "Word of the Day".  But no cheating!  No dictionaries or surfing the Internet.

Good Luck!

Les

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

23 Sep 2010      

ueslteacher
Ukraine

May be that �s a guy who caught squids for a living and who finally got tired of his job so one day he just quidSmile and since then his crew mates call him quiddler
Sophia

23 Sep 2010     

mariannina
Italy

Quid isn �t the slang for Pound? So quiddler is someone who looks for Pounds :-)

23 Sep 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

OOH, this is easy....
One of the words to become fashionable in "New Age� circles
It is a denomination for someone who registered for the art therapy class " quilting without thinking" where you make quilts, combining colors and patterns instinctively in order to get a better insight into your �id �. 
Since the �id �, according to Freud, is the most basic form of ourself, before ego and super ego, quilting without thinking would allow you to explore your most basic instincts and drives, including but not limited to the before mentioned color- and shape associations as well as the urge to quit this annoying class and still get credit for being on a spiritual path to self-knowing.
quiddler = someone who explores the �id � through quilting.

23 Sep 2010     

agagug
Canada

Quiddler comes from the latin word: quidam, meaning � �chap � �. Therefore a quiddler must be someone with some authorities who gathers anonymous men off the streets for some reasons of his own.

23 Sep 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Actually, the original word used to be "squiddler", but over the centuries the "s" has worn off for some unknown reason.

Very young human beings are called toddlers, because they "toddle", and very young squids which can hardly swim have always been referred to as squiddlers.

Nowadays, the outdated word squiddler as well as the newer term quiddler have almost become extinct. However, the latter is still being used by a couple of marine biologists.

23 Sep 2010