Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning online exercises > Online Exercise Issues    

Online Exercise Issues

tw_karen
Taiwan

Online Exercise Issues

I have a computer issue with the online exercises.  I would appreciate ANY help that you can give.

I have started a blog for my special writing class.  I planned to put online exercises on it for them to practice.  I successfully linked an online exercise and assigned it for homework.  My students came back saying it was all garbled computer script.  I checked again on my computer and it was fine.  I work with Firefox, so I tried with explorer.  It was fine.  My computer is an English computer capable of accepting Chinese characters.  I went to the teachers� office and tried it out.  It was garbled.  Their computers and the computers of my students are Chinese computers capable of accepting English.  They can look at English websites with no problem, so why can�t they see these online exercises�

But wait!  There is more.  I thought perhaps it was a blogger issue, so I made groups and assigned passwords on englishexercises.org� and then I tried it out on one of the teachers� office computers.  It is still garbled. 

Does anyone know how to fix this situation?  Or are all my issues simply due to Chinese language computers?

Thanks in advance for any help.

PS  It looks like this:

omplete with the a/an/the.?/FONT>?ING border=0 hspace=0 align=right

And that is just the beginning.  Getting into the activity it reads:

?INPUT size=3 name=/The/the/> wner of [] missing cat is asking for help.   y baby has been missing    or    ver  [] month now,

24 Sep 2010      

douglas
United States

There is  a good chance that the computers don �t have the font you used for text loaded on the them.  I think there are 7 standard fonts that most computers have. You can check if it works using one of these fants.

Douglas

Edit: Oops, there are 10!    Andale Mono, Arial, Courier New, Times New Roman, Impact, Comic Sans, Verdana, Georgia, Trebuchet MS, Webdings, 

24 Sep 2010     

tw_karen
Taiwan

Thanks Douglas...

Now, is there any way I can modify the online exercise?

24 Sep 2010     

douglas
United States

Sorry, that I don �t know--I have only done 1 online exercise and that was when I first discovered this site a couple of years ago.

Douglas

24 Sep 2010     

miesies muis
Namibia

It happened with me as well. The computer at our schoo(1997/2003 model)l is much older than the one I have at home (2007). I fixed it by saving it as 1997 - 2003 document. My computer at home has a compatability mode, that I think the older computer don �t have. I hope this solves your problem. 
Good luck!

24 Sep 2010     

tw_karen
Taiwan

Thanks guys

24 Sep 2010