Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning online exercises > online pronunciation programmes    

online pronunciation programmes

MariaE
Spain

online pronunciation programmes

Does anyone know any programmes to improve pronunciation? I know there is something like singstar but for pronunciation but i don�t know the name. Can anyone help me, please?

1 Dec 2008      

libertybelle
United States

I don�t know about programs, but this ESL teacher Jennifer
has great lessons in speaking English on You Tube.

She has over 10 lessons.
Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jenniferesl?ob=4

hope this helps
L

1 Dec 2008     

brazilrule
Brazil

You could try www.livemocha.com

This is a great little websiter that will improve your pronunciation, writing and grammar.  It�s also free to join

Good luck!!

1 Dec 2008     

alien boy
Japan

This site details a few interesting online pronunciation validators. A lot depends on which dialect/accent of English you want to use!

http://www.venukb.com/2008/06/30/validating-english-word-pronunciations/

Be aware that  computer generated voices are rarely even close to a natural sound!

I�m an Aussie, so I don�t really want to sound like a North American or a Kiwi. Oz accents are more similar to some of the accents from England. There are literally hundreds of accents for English - just because you�re a native speaker doesn�t mean another native speaker will sound the same!

Good luck & post an update when  you�ve checked things out.

1 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

I think that this site may help you to improve pronunciation:

1 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Here�s the easiest solution, and it comes installed as standard with windows xp and vista (maybe also with 98 but I don�t know)

"Start"
"Control Panel"
"Voice" or "Text to Voice"

This will give you a little window. �If not already there, select the "text to voice" tab.
Where it says "You have selected Microsoft..." replace this with the word or sentence you want. then click (don�t press Enter) on "test voice"... Voila (obviously you�ll need speakers to hear it).
The nice thing about this is that it doesn�t matter what language windows is installed in, the text to voice is always available in English, and it comes on every PC, no software installation required. �The voice sounds a bit Stephen Hawkinsish but it�s pretty good and getting better every day. �You can download more voices and accents from windows. �In a few years I reckon that using this technology you could write out your lessons, email them to your students and sit back and have a cup of tea :)

Try it, it works especially well with big numbers, you know the millions and hundred thousands students always have trouble with.

1 Dec 2008     

MariaE
Spain

Thank you for your time and ideas!

9 Dec 2008     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Thanks for the information.  I never realized that Windows had this.  I just tried it out and it�s great.

9 Dec 2008