Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > clear this up for me    

clear this up for me

miesies muis
Namibia

clear this up for me

I was taught in school that one should use a comma (,) before but. 

The children went to school, but they forgot their lunch.

Was I taught wrong? Does it have something to do with the difference between British and American English?

2 Oct 2010      

el_profe55
Argentina

EXPLANAITION 1

Examples: 

I have painted the entire house, but he is still working on sanding the doors.

I paint and he writes.

So, use a comma to separate two strong clauses joined by a coordinating conjunction--and, or, but, for, nor. You can omit the comma if the clauses are both short.

EXPLANATION 2:

When a coordinating conjunction connects two INDEPENDANT CLAUSES, it is often (but not always) accompanied by a comma:

o    Ulysses wants to play for River Plate, but he has had trouble meeting the academic requirements.

When the two independent clauses connected by a coordinating conjunction are nicely balanced or brief, many writers will omit the comma:

o    Ulysses has a great jump shot but he isn �t quick on his feet.

The comma is always correct when used to separate two independent clauses connected by a coordinating conjunction.

Alex Carr

2 Oct 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

but is a conjunction, which means it joins two sentences together that could stand as complete sentences on their own. Therefore you don �t need a comma.

3 Oct 2010     

kodora
Greece

Know that as a coordinating conjunction, "but" nearly always requires a comma. For example: "The zookeepers watched the lions in the cage, but they ignored a peacock on the run."

Use "but" as a preposition, as in "Everyone but Sally went to the museum." No comma is required for use as a preposition.

Dora

3 Oct 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

Miesies, ask yourself: If I omit the comma between these two clauses, would it make the sentence ambiguous? If not, you can choose to use the comma or miss it out - even the most peevish of modern prescriptivists couldn �t fault you there.

3 Oct 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

With computers, etc punctuation is becoming a bit of a lost art, don �t you think?

3 Oct 2010