Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Video - English accents    

Video - English accents

baiba
Latvia

Video - English accents

Have you seen this video where a young man is doing 24 English accents?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dABo_DCIdpM

I don �t know how accurate the accents are but for me it was amazing!
See if you can show it to your students (because he uses f...... words) but it is awesome anyway!

9 Oct 2010      

Mariethe House
France

Fabulous! Incredible! How can our students understand English, LOL? Thank you baiba!

9 Oct 2010     

stexstme
France

Oh Baiba! Thank you for the good laugh!! The guy is soooooo brilliant! It reminds me of my first day in Cockney Land, some twenty years ago!!Stern Smile
LOLHave a great Sunday!Hug

9 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

I am fom the UK; have studied accents; and have performed on the public stage, speaking various accents.
Apart from his apparent inability to speak a sentence without gratuitously swearing in a most offensive way, some of his accents were seriusly inaccurate.
His Welsh accent was feeble, his Scottish accent pathetic, and his so-called �posh � accent so bad that it was a nothingness.
I would not recommend showing the video to students.  It gives a totally false impresion of how people in the UK speak.
Does EVERY person in your country use foul language?
No?
Nor does every person in the UK.
Clearly, these are simply my opinions and others may think differently.
However, if you want to hear genuine British accents, watch British TV. and listen to British radio.
The BBC has a set of cassettes and I have a copy somewhere.  It is called (I think): "Dialects of English".  These are authentic speakers, speaking as normal people do about normal regional things.  You may be able to get the set on E-bay quite cheaply.

Here is a site where you can hear a Variety of British Accents.

For the Stage

Les Douglas

9 Oct 2010     

...Alena...
Russian Federation

Thank you so much!

The guy is a perfect actor!

9 Oct 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Thanks for your opinion, Les Douglas! And also thanks for the tips.

I certainly understand that this video is not a paragon of a public speech. It only serves to entertain and to give a picture of the variety of accents, no matter how faulty they are.

9 Oct 2010     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Hello Baiba,

Thank you for your reply.
I think I was being over-sensitive!
The chap does speak some of the accents quite accurately, and for someone to try to do several of them without a script is really very difficult.
On re-reading my Post, I think that I sound a bit condescending, as if know everything.  If that is how it reads to you, I apologise for being big-headed.
To put the record straight, I derive much pleasure from being increasingly astounded at the depth of knowledge of English displayed by the writers on this Forum, (and you are no exception), and shocked by my own lack of knowledge of its structure.
Once again, thank you for your kindness in writing to me.
Have a lovely Sunday.

Les

9 Oct 2010     

baiba
Latvia

Les, you are a gentleman!Handshake

I found quite a flattering review of this video in The Huffington Post, you can read it here.

9 Oct 2010     

sophie85
France

Thanks for this video, I think it could be useful, at least to show my (French pupils) that they really have to improve their pronunciation !!:)

9 Oct 2010     

Nawal2010
Oman

Hello Biba

There is also what I called " Arablish ". There are varieties of accent in speaking English as well.

I gave it to my students to recognize the differences.!!!!!!

Keep enriching us
Thumbs Up

11 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

Thanks,

The young man was quite entertaining.  However I am still more blown away by Amy Wlker �s accents:

11 Oct 2010