Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > vehicles    

vehicles

El-Samreyah
Egypt

vehicles

are helicopters, airplanes and ships vehicles?

15 Oct 2010      

MarionG
Netherlands

yes

15 Oct 2010     

David Lisgo
Japan

I think of ships as vessels, though I agree with Marion in that they are rightly referred to as vehicles by some people.
In the same vein I think of helicopters and planes as aircraft and not vehicles.

15 Oct 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

OK, less lazy; (I had coffee by now)
�Vehicle � is defined as

• a conveyance that transports people or objects

this includes different subcategories such as indeed �vessels � (usually transporting over water) and aircraft (transporting- you guessed- thru air) and even spacecraft.

The word vehicle is kind of nice since you can get away without specifying, another good one (the one I use with my elementary students) is �means of transportation � since this would even include moving �on foot � without using any kind of vehicle at all...
  • PS David, your alphabet pages are great, best I�ve seen so far, you�ve got me hooked on the recents again!

(and I don�t even teach absolute beginners anymore...)

15 Oct 2010     

El-Samreyah
    Egypt

thanks a bunch David and Marion

15 Oct 2010