Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > What can I do with a class of pupils...    

What can I do with a class of pupils...

Catalina Sorina
Romania

What can I do with a class of pupils...

What can I do with a class of pupils who have just attended the funeral of their class teacher?

They are 10 years old and we have the class on Wednesday.

I thought about games, but the class is 2 hours long. I can play some games with them - but 2 hours of games may be too much.

I need some ideas.

Thank you a lot,
Catalina

18 Oct 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

If it happened to me, I �d ask help from a professional on how to handle students grieving. Is there a child psychologist around to help you out?

18 Oct 2010     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hi Catalina

That �s  a very difficult situation; unfortunately I have been having similar problems with my kids - either the father or the mother of a few of them has died unexpectedly.
Mine are very young and I have no idea what they think about death and, when these situations happen it �s not the appropriate moment to try to discover. Later, we are not sure yet if it is the right time and, later on we forget about it in the rush of school work.

I always do the same thing - we all have a normal lesson - people say that working hard helps to deal with our problems and suffering, I believe it does, while they are working their minds are, at least a little away from the suffering.
The only difference is that I always try to pay a closer attention to the student; in your case, you have a whole class to pay attention to;  rather difficult, you need to be very sensitive, hope you can overcome, surely you will.
Good luck
linda

18 Oct 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

When my wife passed away (also a teacher) I received many cards and notes from her students expressing how they felt about her and with words of comfort for me. It was a humbling and touching experience. I have kept those notes and cards since then. Ed

18 Oct 2010     

douglas
United States

That �s a tough one.  Manonski is right.  The best is to have a child psychologist talk with them.  In my opinion they need to talk about it either way though.  I would take the time to just talk about how they feel about it and perhaps share some, happy or funny things about the teacher that died (to keep her in good memories).

But think about it long and hard before you do anything, if you aren �t ready to dela with their reactions then don �t try it on your own.

Douglas

18 Oct 2010     

Catalina Sorina
Romania

Unfortunately there is no psychologist in the school.  The funeral was today and all the children were present.

I think I will give them worksheets to keep them busy - word search, crosswords, and we �ll work in the notebook with exercises we use with the textbook. As you said, Linda, I �ll try to make a "normal" class - but as you all told me, I �ll be prepared to listen to their thoughts if they feel like telling me. Anyway, I won �t bring the topic into discussion. Only if they feel like...

I also think about the next week �s Halloween... - I �ll try to make it funny.

Thank you for your answers, Manon, Linda, Ed and Douglas!

Catalina

18 Oct 2010     

DaniSJ
Argentina

That �s hard to deal with... if they were older, you could talk it over in a different way... maybe you could do something in which they get to be creative, some kind of activity in which they can color, decorate or something...
If I were you I �d be prepared to talk about what �s happened, children that age tend to share their thoughts... it would be a good idea to talk to parents and find out what the children have been told about death at home, you don �t want to say something that goes against their beliefs, it may cause you trouble... Some parents may not want their children to be told something different...

18 Oct 2010     

lisa.weix
Austria

Hi Catalina,
that�s definitely a tough one, but I wouldn�t go for just going on as usual, as if nothing had happened ...
I had a situation like that several years ago. I decided to ask the kids if they would like to write a little note or a letter to the person that had passed away, or just tell the others anything they remembered about that person. After a little awkward silence the kids started to talk, and we actually ended up laughing about funny things she had said, and little mishaps we had experienced with her, telling each other what we were going to miss about her, how much we had enjoyed her presence ... So it was nothing psychological or religious or anything, but not letting death or talking about the deceased be a taboo helped, also to get rid of the tension. And I think she liked watching us :).
All the best, whichever way you try,
Elisabeth.

18 Oct 2010