Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Are there cinemas in Newquay or Are there any cinemas in Newquay?    

Are there cinemas in Newquay or Are there any cinemas in Newquay?

angela#anaconda
France

Are there cinemas in Newquay or Are there any cinemas in Newquay?

Hi guys!
I know both are grammatically correct but can someone tell me the difference between the two? I �ve been browsing my grammar books but they are quite elusive on the subject.

Thanks 4 ur help!

29 Oct 2010      

yanogator
United States

Hi, Angela,
The difference is so small that I can �t even begin to explain it. Essentially, they are the same.

In other situations, the difference is a little stronger. If you go into a store and ask, "Do you have milk?", you are asking if they sell milk in general. If you ask, "Do you have any milk?", you are indicating that you think that they usually sell milk, but are wondering if they have any in the store now.

So with "is there/are there", you can use "any" or not use it without any difference.

Bruce

29 Oct 2010     

angela#anaconda
France

Thank you so much for answering my question! I wish you a pleasant day/night! xxx

3 Nov 2010