Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > I resent that.    

I resent that.

blunderbuster
Germany

I resent that.

Hi,

I resent the claim that most of the texts that are uploaded here have been copied form somewhere. I make all my reading comprehension texts by myself, I make all my grammar ws by myself, I make some of my flashcards from scratch. I thought that was what this here is all about, what is the point in uploading something here that someone else has already published elsewhere???!!!

Well, it �s been a while since I was given my last public beating here, so....just in case you feel like it....go right ahead.... ;o)

3 Nov 2010      

Lina Ladybird
Germany

Regina,

To me personally, it doesn �t matter that most of the reading texts at ESLP are copied from somewhere. What matters is when people JUST upload such a text taken from the Internet or a book and don �t add anything...

IMHO, there�s nothing wrong with using texts which have already been published several times as long as the ws contains some useful tasks to go with those texts.

3 Nov 2010     

Zora
Canada

It �s not about that blunderbuster. The comment was meant in a general way... and yes, A LOT of readings here are taken or adapted from elsewhere. We are teachers, not authors or artists... What the gripe was basically about is that the "worksheets" in question were not just four fruits slapped on an A4 and called flashcards just to get some easy points. A LOT of work was put into it.

I agree that perhaps ONE ws being reported was OK but not all of them. A warning was needed - not a beating!! The member should have been given a chance to add a few questions as Douglas suggested in his post.

In my opinion that �s how a "fair" decision should be taken. 

3 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Zora,

I was not part of the decision taken, the ws are gone now. Maybe people voted for removal out of envy, who knows, in any case it was a democratic decison and the uploader has the chance to make the necessary adjustments and re-upload. Yes, we are teachers, not wet nurses....even if also artists and authors ;o)

For me creativity and authoring are one and the same thing.

Regards

3 Nov 2010     

mariamit
Greece

I see your point Linda. I �ve cleared the air with Douglas, whom I also agree with. What I don �t understand is why all the fuss.... Personally I �m letting this thread go. I have been frustrated enough ....

3 Nov 2010     

Lina Ladybird
Germany

That member can still open a new account. She �ll surely get loads of points in no time again!

I have also started anew from scratch once, so I know what I �m talking about.

Rules are rules, and users who don �t follow them have to go - as simple as that...

3 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Have you guys ever asked yourself why cauffeepot has been posting the way she has? Could it be that she has been trying to be more than cryptic????

!!!!!!!!!!

3 Nov 2010     

Flora1
Brazil

I agree with Ladybird , we can use according to rules texts from websites but  w e have to create our own exercises. I think that intenert is a good tool for look for texts but not only upload it because I can do it bymyself.

3 Nov 2010     

zailda
Brazil

Hi!

I prepare everything in my grammar wss (rules written by myself, exercises and examples from a distorted mind that loves to add some humor to the sentences...)

As for texts I prefer to work with articles found on the net, so the students will have a clear notion of the way natives speak nowadays, the words they choose and how they use them. I couldn �t provide that since I �m not a native and don �t live in a foreign country.

When you teach a language it �s important to teach the people �s culture as well, because you will only understand the language completely if you understand the people who speak it.

Giving the students examples of the way natives use their language to convey ideas is an important part of their learning (I think) so I choose articles found in blogs, sites and other non-ESL resources and - of course - add my own tasks.

Have a nice day!

3 Nov 2010     

Mariethe House
France

Regina
Just want to say that , although I spent 4 years in England ( 3 of which I spent studying at university) I am never sure my English is absolutely correct or absoluteloodely English or American!Smile
I once was married to an an Englishman and after a few years in France, his English was not always reliable which he admitted himself!

So my point is: I �d rather give my students some totally authentic and correct text than give them something i am not totally sure about! therefore, when it comes to reading comp  I prefer to get something from a book or the internet, which I adapt : I select sentences, I cut inappropriate chunks, replace a few words by easier words but the I keep the esential gist of a text! Natives �(British or American )do not write the same way as a foreigner does however good  his/her English is.

Best regards

3 Nov 2010     

donapeter
Romania

What about using famous speeches as Martin Luther King �s?! 
We can be good teacher but it is not necessary to be good authors of texts or poems or anything else. 
So...we can "borrow" texts and add our tasks. 

3 Nov 2010     

1    2    3    Next >