Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > is this phrase right?    

is this phrase right?

Yams
Argentina

is this phrase right?

hi dear all!!!!
how are you??
I �m helping a friend with some business letters she has to write for her English workshop at university. she wrote this phrase on a notice of payment. when i read it i realized about a mistake, the "an" before advice.
however, she told me that she had copied that phrase from a sample letter her teacher gave her. i know her teacher, she was one of my teachers at universtity and she is a geniuos! so I started doubting about this "mistake".
can be possible to write an advice in some specific contexts?
the phrase is the following one:

Thank you for being so prompt in sending the documents for our last order N� 114469, and the bank should be sending you an advice shortly

thanks!!!!!!!!

4 Nov 2010      

aliciapc
Uruguay

I �d say " a piece of advice" , but "some advice" sounds better to me.
BTW, is the "and" correct ? It doesn �t sound ok to me ...

4 Nov 2010     

Yams
Argentina

yeah, some advice sounds better to me too.... as for the "and" maybe is too informal for a notice of payment, a period would be better...
thanks!

4 Nov 2010     

Yams
Argentina

i �ve just found that  "an advice" is a document (e.g. advice note) or a specific formal written advice, and in that sense it �s acceptable to call a number of these "advices"

could be that right??????? native speakers....are you there???????? Smile

4 Nov 2010     

juliag
Japan

I �m here and as a native speaker I �ve never heard that, but I haven �t lived in an English speaking country for over 11 years, so I hope someone else can confirm it one way or the other for you.

4 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

Yes, "an advice" is correct, and, as you discovered, it is something totally different from the usual use of "advice".

Bruce

4 Nov 2010     

juliag
Japan

Learn something new everyday! Thank you Bruce.

4 Nov 2010     

rafikico
Mexico

Hi,
Just to clarify from my own experience and teaching.. �an � advice is only typically heard in American English. British English uses �some � advice � or �a piece of � advice. As we use advice as plural already, it seems illogical to suggest �an � advice.By the way, I agree about the �and �: there should be a new sentence there instead. But this is just in my culture! I too have lived in Mexico for 6 years so who knows what I �ve lost along the way...:).

4 Nov 2010     

Yams
Argentina

wow!!! as usual, you �re great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thank you soooooooooo much!!!!!! HeartHeartHeartHeart

4 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

To add to Yams and Bruce �s explanation you can also use "an advice" to refer to "an official notice concerning a business transaction" (source: FindLaw Legal Dictionary). So, in this context "an advice" is correct.

Edit: Ahem... didn�t notice you were the one asking in the first place, Yams...Embarrassed

4 Nov 2010     

zagoracity
Morocco

Language changes along with people �s daily needs.To my surprise, I have read somewhere "advices".Though I never thought it is correct.Since some stative verbs could accept the -ING form ,so just ,dear teachers, get ready to meet across more surprises.

4 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >