Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > possessive case    

possessive case

silvanija
Lithuania

possessive case

Hello all.

What is the possessive case of the name LIZ?  Liz �s, Liza �s or Lizas? Wacko

Thanks in advance

Silvana

16 Nov 2010      

sanchezos
Serbia

Silvana, if the name is Liz, than the possessive adjective is Liz �s, but be careful with the pronunciation.

Hugs !

PS.
What a beautiful name you �ve got! Smile

16 Nov 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

It belongs to Liz. = It is Liz �s. :-D
Beware of surnames ending in -s !
This is Mrs Jones �s house.
This is the Joneses � garden.
These are the Joneses � chairs.

Liza �s dog is ok only if the girl �s name is Liza.

to sanchezos: how do you pronounce Liz �s?  (lizis)?

16 Nov 2010     

silvanija
Lithuania

I always thought that it should be Liz �s, but today my son was told by his English teacher that "Lizas" is the correct one... It confused me a lot Confused

16 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

the name is pronouced: Liz-es.
A name never changes when writing the possessive.

Moravc - you forgot:

The Jones � house. (pronounced Joneses)
The possessive can either be written with an extra   �s  or s �

16 Nov 2010     

sanchezos
Serbia

Yes, like liberty...wrote.

16 Nov 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

I made a printable on possessives using "s", if anyone is interested.

16 Nov 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

my real name is liz and both are accepted   liz �  or liz �s 

Possessive Form of Singular Nouns Ending with S

Many people struggle with the possessive case of singular nouns when the words already end with s. The general rule is this:
Form the possessive singular of nouns with �s.

Here are some examples:

• James�s cat
  • Mrs. Jones�s attorney
  • Dr. Seuss�s book

Exceptions

Of course, we�re talking about the English language, so we�re going to have some exceptions to the rule. While grammar books and style guides don�t necessarily agree on how to determine these exceptions, most consider a word�s pronunciation. Here is what a few of the books say:

• If pronunciation would be awkward with the added -�s, some writers use only the apostrophe. Either use is acceptable. (Diana Hacker, A Writer�s Reference)
  • Exceptions are the possessives of ancient proper names in -es and -is [such as Achilles� and Isis�], the possessive Jesus�, and such forms as for conscience� sake, for righteousness� sake. (Strunk and White, The Elements of Style)
  • With some singular nouns that end in -s, pronouncing the possessive ending as a separate syllable can sound awkward; in such cases, it is acceptable to use just an apostrophe. (Kirszner & Mandell, The Brief Holt Handbook)
  • Since writers vary in the use of the apostrophe, it is not possible to make a hard and fast rule about the apostrophe in singular words ending in s.� Punctuate according to pronunciation. (John E. Warriner, English Grammar and Composition)

16 Nov 2010     

silvanija
Lithuania

Thank you, dears. You are a great help.

Hug

16 Nov 2010     

yanogator
United States

But, Libertybelle, your example of "the Jones � house" would only be correct if the family name is Jone. Then the plural (the whole family) would be the Jones, and the possessive, Jones �, as you said.

But, if the name is Jones, then the plural is Joneses (I �d like you to meet the Joneses, keeping up with the Joneses), and the plural possessive is Joneses �

Bruce

16 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

Bruce/yanogator, the language, it is a �changin. Those of us over a certain age were taught to use a simple apostrophe after a singular noun, common or proper, that ended in s or z. So libertybelle and lizsantiago are perfectly correct.  You must be young enough that you didn �t learn that in school. Common usage now, however, is to use �s after any singular noun.

So, Silvana, tell your son �s teacher that she/he is mistaken. Although Liz and Liza can both be used as nicknames for Elizabeth, if the form is Liz, you can �t write Liza �s. (In American English, they don �t even use the same vowel sound. Liz is /liz/ and Liza is  

/laiz� ə/.

16 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >