Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > I really don īt get this...    

I really don īt get this...

blunderbuster
Germany

I really don īt get this...

Hi,

This is mere adverstising, so feel free to grab something and throw it at me....

I have been posting parts of a resource and there is one thing I simply don īt get. All parts of the resource are of equal importance, one part gets about half the downloads of another? Was it the negative comment (I had forgotten to double check and exchange some info), was it the not so attractive color (every letter had a different color) or asymmetrical layout? I mean, there was one card more, so the value for "money" was better.... still not much interest in the printable.

Why am I telling you this, asking you this? Because I want to learn? Because I want to understand? Because I want to share some insights? Probably a mix of all. Tell me if you know.

I create and share because I enjoy the creative and intellectual challenge, just in case you were wondering.

Thanks and kind regards

22 Nov 2010      

moravc
Czech Republic

If you are talking about a set of cards or a worksheet divided into parts, I have noticed the varying numbers of downloads too. It is an old "habit" here...

I suppose the downloaders prefer "all-in-one" collections to the series of sets...
I download many "old" contributions and I sometimes download the sets too.
Most sets or worksheets divided into parts get different number of downloads.
Maybe the downloaders donīt look for the next part, or they donīt notice the next part or... they donīt EXPECT the next part... I think some parts/sets  are overlooked, because there are 500 new printables every day...

The ppt presentations - ppt games get downloaded by different number of people too! And THIS is really strange... How can anybody use a ppt without the ending or the middle part???

22 Nov 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I find it very frustrating when things are uploaded in parts on different days. I will download the first one and then forget to check the contributions on the next day and so I don īt get the next part.
With the number of excellent choices it is easy to overlook some.
So my suggestion is to label parts as 1, 2, 3, etc or upload all on the same day.
Just my tuppence worth
Joy

22 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Jana,

thanks for your answer. I understand that and I can relate to it. However, this time the gap seems huge and unnatural...hence my question.

Uploading a resource in fewer parts would sometimes mean a decrease in image quality, I saw that with my Smurfs domino and I don īt want to go there anymore. Especially when there are new signs to be learnt (IPA) quality takes top priority, I still remember my Russian lessons and how frustrating it was, using a copy of a copy īs copy īs copy just because the teacher had been working with the material for decades ;o)

Warm regards
Regina

22 Nov 2010     

roneydirt
United States

Personally wouldn īt download either.  Got a couple decks that are similar for $1 and can be used in games from a store that specialized selling to home school families.   Plus there are some that are sold online and already laminated.  Do like you added the phonetic sounds.  I was doing that with my PowerPoints and then at the end of the 2nd year the co-teacher told me that the students didn īt understand the phonetic symbols I was using, I was using simple phonetics like the ones used in Webster dictionary.

My other thought was if they are both important, why not combine them?

I have seen where there are worksheets divided and some let the downloader know there is a companion worksheet and some don īt.  My biggest issue is it seems some are more about the points like breaking a 6 slide PowerPoint to 6 different postings so you can only get one slide at a time.  Did  you let the downloaders know there was a companion to the ws?

The other thing is maybe most didn īt see your other sheet since many are busy as some have pointed out to me from time to time.  So they fly through the contributions looking for what they need right away and what catches their eye to download quickly and get off the site to do other things.

22 Nov 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

Hi Regina,

I understand your concerns. The quality of pictures is really important... I just wonder: have you tried different resizing methods? There are several ways how to resize the pictures, check the tutorials section, please.
While considering whether to resize the pictures or not, I always think about the size of the paper I am going to use - A4 or A3...

I NEVER resize pictures ALREADY included in the word document. I always resize the pictures in my "picture folder" FIRST, and then I use them - insert them into my new Word documents.
I use this free software http://www.pixelapp.com/Free-Photo-Converter.htm
It resizes hundrets of pictures in few seconds...

The quality of pictures in posters SHOULD BE high, the pics should be nice in 200% preview, so the poster can be printed on A3 paper... Same with ppt - as they are projected on the wall...

Talking about the cards, I don īt care about the quality so much. If the picture looks nice while printed on A4 paper, I find it ok. I sometimes make the card collection even smaller - I print 2 pages on one A4 paper...

YOU are the author so it is perfectly ok when you upload your worksheets with the high resolution pictures. It is up to your decision and no-one can blame you...

PS: Sometimes there is only one "top resolution" picture, which is enormously big (100-200 kB) so the solution is easy - delete one picture and use a different/resized pic...

22 Nov 2010     

silvanija
Lithuania

It īs Monday and many teachers are at work. Why don īt you check the number of downloads at the end of the day and then draw conclusions?

22 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Jana, I export graphics as jpegs or gifs, depending on the quality needed, before I do so I optimize while balancing cost and effect ;o)

Silvanija, actually, today tow follow-up printables have the exact same number of downloads.....;o))) Can īt be the Monday backlog ;o)

This place is a good one for taking breaks from grading ;o)

22 Nov 2010     

debk2000
United States

Hi!  Just wanted to encourage you and comment that I really like the flashcards!  I think I īve gotten all the parts.  Sorry not to thank you before, but better late than never I guess......

One user mentioned about them being easier to buy in a store-perhaps for them that was the best solution.  However, for people who teach in some places in the world, it īs not so easy to go out and buy materials and I greatly appreciate the opportunity to add to my ESL teaching materials.

Hopefully other users will realize that they īve missed some parts of the flashcards (even if the older set isn īt in the recent contributions anymore).  I don īt have many points yet, but I have used some of my precious points in other cases where I realized I was missing part of a set.

Thanks again! :)

22 Nov 2010     

foose1
United States

I like your work also and will download whenever I get the chance.  I get a little discouraged at times on this site also.  I won īt let it bother me though as I have spent too much time dealing with issues and such that I know that the real causes are what they are and not a person īs fault. So, do not think that your work is going unappreciated by others as it is very much appreciated.  Sometimes, I will download something and I cannot remember where I got it because it may not have a title that I can search on.  Other times, yes I find that I do not like the work at all and stop in my tracks.  More than often, I have so many downloaded that even if I wanted to find the second part, I can īt because I there isn īt a title or maybe because I do not look into the properties.  Regardless, your work is great and I wouldn īt wonder why and I would just do as you are doing as you are doing something for this world that nobody else can do, "providing something to somebody that is in need and making something that you feel is needed."

John

22 Nov 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi Deb and John,

Thank you so much for your warm words of encouragement and appreciation. I think this buoyancy regarding the number of downloads tells me more about others than about myself ;o)

See ya soon!

22 Nov 2010