Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > advanced grammar help    

advanced grammar help

mariby22
United States

advanced grammar help

I need to rephrase these sentences with the word given, the problem is that the word has to remain unchanged

1. Sam is going to have a tooth extracted this afternoon
(PULL) Sam is going to have a tooth __________________this afternoon

2. I �d like to ave the photo enlarged
(BLOW) I �d like to have the photo ______________________.

3. Rod �s going to apply for a job, but the fact that he has so little experience will make it less likely for him to get a job.
(TELL) Rod �s going to apply for the job, but the fact that he has so little experience will __________________ him.

Thanks in advance!

23 Nov 2010      

edrodmedina
United States

At first I thought 1. pulled  2. blown up 3. ? , but if the word has to remain the same I haven �t a clue.

23 Nov 2010     

monicap_87
El Salvador

Hi there :)

If you have to rephrase those sentences without changing the word given, i �d suggest using the causative in the active form:

1.Sam will have a dentist pull her tooth.

2.I will get someone to blow up the photo.

3. I will have my mom tell Rod that the fact that he has so little experience will make it less likely for him to get a job??????

hahaha weird...  sure you got the directions right?

Greetings!!!

23 Nov 2010     

mariby22
United States

Thanks anyway, could of course be a typo of some sort, but it specified that the word have so remain unchanged. What do you think of this:
Sam is going to have a tooth pull-out (but it sounds weird, doesn�t it?)

23 Nov 2010     

ueslteacher
Ukraine

what if pull out was meant to be used as a noun with tooth being an atr.?
Sophia

23 Nov 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

The rubric probably indicates that you shouldn �t change the given verb - although obviously its form will have to change (nothing makes sense otherwise - a "tooth pull-out"?? I don�t think so).

Ed �s right with 1. (pulled) and 2. (blown up). I would suggest that the expression for 3. is tell against (to have a negative influence or effect...).

23 Nov 2010     

mariby22
United States

Can you say "the fact that he has so little experience will ____tell___on___________ him." ?

24 Nov 2010     

Ayaniw
Algeria

Hi everyone!
1. pulled or pulled out    2. blown up    3. told off (meaning dismissed/fired)
Al

25 Nov 2010