Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Advice about teaching Present Simple 3rd Person ´s ´    

Advice about teaching Present Simple 3rd Person ´s ´

puddyd
Oman

Advice about teaching Present Simple 3rd Person ´s ´

Hi all, well I �m ready to pull my hair out and now need your help, please.

I spent five lessons teaching present simple �S � and I have literally explored all skills and activities possible while teaching it , doing games, speaking roleplays, listening ,reading with the final lesson ending with an interview about two members of their partner �s family , the ss making notes from the interview and then consolidating it with a writing task  by turning their notes into a paragraph about one member of their partner �s family-i.e: using the third person �s �, WHICH WE HAVE BEEN DOING ALL WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well blow me over if two out of twenty three remembered to write the �s �. They are beginner level, young adults 18-20 years old and willing to learn, so I have no problem with them as far as that is concerned, I just feel like I �ve failed them as I �ve never had so many get it this wrong in all the years........what now, what do you do ?

Some advice would be helpful because I really put a lot of effort into my lessons and plan then well, and they got it during the week , but when they had to produce it alone they couldn �t / didn �t get it.

Thanks in advance and have a gr8 weekend.

25 Nov 2010      

dareka1
Japan

�Actually in a research paper I read, they said that it is well known that there is a natural order for students to pick up certain things in English in certain order. And the paper said that maybe teaching the third person �s � is not worth it to beginner students because most students don �t pick it up until they are more advanced. It �s natural.

�And for communication, the third person �s � is not really so important, so just relax :)

�So, don �t worry about it. It �s not their mistake, it �s just the natural order to learn English. But maybe your good work is in their heads somewhere and when they are ready to use it, your work will be remembered and they will be happy.

25 Nov 2010     

dareka1
Japan

I just found it, it is called, "The order of acquisition". Check it out-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_language_learning

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Order_of_acquisition

25 Nov 2010     

MarionG
Netherlands

HI puddyd
You �re not alone, I am experiencing the same thing in my classroom and so are my collegues. Just today we shared our frustration. I think dareka is right though... I don �t worry too much about it, most of them pick it up eventually, indeed a mattter of developping a �feel � for the language when they ar ready for it. This year - 6th grade- it was the first time they were exposed to it as such (they �ve come accross it in texts before etc. I know Present Simple will stay part of their curriculum all the way thru highschool as well so they �ll hear it over and over. I decided to move on for now, no need to drive them - and myself- crazy over it....

25 Nov 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

I agree with Dareka1. There is a natural order for acquiring a language.
I listen very carefully to the speech of my 22month old grandaughter and my 7year old grandaughter. It �s very enlightning to see what order they pick things up. Interestingly they seem to going along the same path my students do. The errors and rates of acquisition are often quite similar.
The 7 year old, whose only language is English still says don �t instead of �doesn �t. She has problems sometimes with pronouns and articles.
Cheers Joy

25 Nov 2010     

puddyd
Oman

Thank you so much for your feedback and I �ll look at the article you kindly referenced for me and I �ll take heed of your advice and just let it settle and sink in and see how it goes when we tackle the elementary book. Thank you again
Kind regards
Andrea

26 Nov 2010