Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Help teaching paperless comparatives    

Help teaching paperless comparatives

lshorton99
China

Help teaching paperless comparatives

Hi

I have to teach a class of young learners (7-9) comparative and superlative forms but I �m trying to keep it paperless. We �ve been using Snow White for the theme but the class is two hours long and my students are losing interest rapidly. I took over the class a couple of weeks ago from another teacher and am looking for ways to liven it up and keep them motivated while making sure they understand the comparative and superlative.

Any suggestions, ideas you �ve used successfully, games, activities etc would be most gratefully received!

Lindsey

26 Nov 2010      

juliag
Japan

Hi Lindsey,

My students enjoyed it when I printed off a whole buch of Disney characters and backed them on colored paper so you couldn �t see who it was when it was turned over, put them all face down in the middle and we took it in turns to pull 2 "mystery cards" and had to make a sentence comparing them. If they needed more support you could also give them the adjective to use or have them pull a mystery adj card, too. Just did the same for superlatives but with 3 cards instead of 2 and said "of the three." It would be in keeping with your Disney theme which is why I thought it might be of use to you. I then expanded to talk about the different Disney movies - elicited the names from them and gave them the adjectives and they made comparative & superlative sentences.

As follow up you could possibly get them to make a poster (though it does involve using paper) comparing several Disney characters and then present them to the class before displaying them on the wall.

Also there were 2 good Shrek ppt uploaded here a few weeks ago for both comparative and superlative, I �ll see if I can find the link for you and edit the post and put it in here for you.

Hope some of this at least helps and have a lovely weekend.
Julia

26 Nov 2010     

lshorton99
China

Thanks Julia!

27 Nov 2010