Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > WOD Winner    

WOD Winner

douglas
United States

WOD Winner

Sorry about the delay everybody--it´s the weekend,

The winner of the word of the day is Anita(robi).  Her definiton of dipsomania was:

...it�s those people who secretly love Dipsy of the Telletubbies, but would never confess it in public... they have bedsheets with Dipsy, bathroom tiles and towels with Dipsy, etc.

Dipsomania actually means:

...an irresistible, typically periodic craving for alcoholic drink.

Congrats Anita

(Just the thought of Dipsy bedsheets and bathroom tiles makes me cringe.)

Douglas

28 Nov 2010      

anitarobi
Croatia

Big smileLOOOOOOOOL
Thanks, Douglas, it �s thanks to my daughter who had just been through her brother �s old toys and picture books and decided Dipsy �s antenna is just so yummy for her still-only-pressing teeth, so it was a stroke of luck that we had this word in the forum.

So let �s see what we can choose... the word of the day this time will be sth easy, since it is Sunday, after all... I just played this game not long ago with my sts, and they loved guessing this word, because it sounds so simple to guess, and then again...

NURSERYMAN

(I know some of you may know exactly what it means, but the connotations from the root of the word might be interesting. I hope...)

Do your best and most charming... (no dictionaries, of course)
Anita

28 Nov 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �m surprised olaola didn �t come up with that "daffynition"; maybe she �s more into "laalaamania"...  Wink

Sorry I �ve been out of town on dipsomania; I actually knew what it was.

Okay, here �s my take on "nurseryman": a nurseryman is a male patient who propositions all of his female nurses. The man in the room next to my father-in-law �s room in the hospital was a bit like that. Visiting said father-in-law in the hospital after his heart bypass surgery was not my favorite way of spending Thanksgiving, by the way. I �m just lucky I wasn �t a nurse, so the lecher in the other room left me alone!

28 Nov 2010