Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > cheating...    

cheating...

olaola
Italy

cheating...

I changed school this year and when I corrected the first written tests I realized that in almost all the classes ( I have 6) a lot of students cheated ( I mean, they copied the answers from the others)... What can I do? I can �t give them individual test ( they are big classes 28-30 students...).

Do you have any ideas?

thanks!

Olaola (Tiziana)

28 Nov 2010      

nombasa
South Africa

If you can prove that they are copies, then don �t issue them with marks.  I would see that as an instant fail (if there is proof) and a disciplinary matter.  They need to know that it is intelectual theft as well as dishonesty and laziness.  How old are the students?  If they are in high school then they will learn quickly the hard way and should be able to cope with the initial dissapointment in failing.  Younger children may need a slightly gentler means of correction.  So I think you are looking at two strategies : one punishment and two education as to why it is wrong.
Have fun!  Take the moral high ground and let them be proud of success that comes from honest study.

28 Nov 2010     

Minka
Slovenia

For big classes I usually make two different tests. They cover the same material, but the sentences are different. If it �s about past simple, for example, one of the tasks is to ask for the underlined words, but the students with A test have, for instance

Mary went home after school.    
and the students with B test have
Joe came home after ten o �clock.

And I mix the sentences, so they don �t come in the same order.

If this exercise has 10 sentences, they will al be different on the two different tests, but I take care that one is a difficult/easy as the other. If I use (for instance) PUT in one, I will use CUT in the other one and so on.

It means more work, but the students soon realise that if they don �t study, they cannot copy either. I admit, there is still some room for cheating - you take a glimpse at the neighbour �s test and remember that there is no -ed in questions and things like that. But other than that, it is just a waste of time.

What are you allowed to do if you actually see someone cheat? If you take their paper that moment and mark what they �ve written (in 5 or 10 minutes), that would probably dsiscourage them. Or an instant fail, true, but I �m not allowed to one or the other.

28 Nov 2010     

donapeter
Romania

To avoid such situations I make a different subject for each student. I have some students that just cannot be stopped cheating! 

28 Nov 2010     

libertybelle
United States

Can you change the seating arrangement so they sit back to back?

28 Nov 2010     

IrenFishka503
Ukraine

I think that 
                    1) you can give them a task like TO WRITE A COMPOSITION - and then everything will be clear!!!
                    2) you can give them only individual tasks (cards), but give for example 10 cards to 10 pupils during one lesson, then give the same 10 cards to another 10 pupils during the next lesson.... and so forth!!!!
   Good luck and clever students to you!!!! Wink

28 Nov 2010     

lizsantiago
Puerto Rico

about 6 years ago i had a group of five students that were very good friends, and i noticed than they were having the same incorrects and corrects during tests. one time i also noticed that they behaved kind of strange during multiple choice test (they even had a code like scratching their heads for a, snizzing for b, coughing for c, etc..) so i needed proof to take them to the principal. so  the next time they took a test, i made a test with the same exercises but in different order and gave them 5 different copies of this test to this students. so... they cheated and i had the proof i needed. they were suspended and they had to take all the test they copied again. ( i was so mad that i have to admit i did hard tests the second time.) so my suggestion is to make different test form the class and be sure to give them all a different one without telling them.

28 Nov 2010     

Montypython
France

Hi!!!!
You can also give 2 sets of tests (what I do most of the time). 2 different tests for neighbours... 
It helps tremendously!!!!!!!
& you catch the cheaters straight away!!! Wacko
HIH!!!!

28 Nov 2010     

Lancillotta:
Italy

Hi,
I usually give 3 sets of tests.
It helps.

Have a nice day

Sabrina

28 Nov 2010     

cauffeepot
Benin

I usually give two or three different versions of the same test--it can be as simple as changing the numbers in the questions for math or changing the noun in a sentence. If it �s English or a language test, have them write out paragraph answers instead of multiple choice.

28 Nov 2010     

magneto
Greece

Hi, Tiziana!

Well, I don �t think there �s much you can do about that test now, since you haven �t caught them red-handed, but perhaps you could have them write another test, just to check how they do this time.
I usually give them two different versions of the same test (2 different tests for neighbours, as Montypython suggested) - sometimes with very slight differences - such as re-arranged words, etc., so they �ll fall into the trap and I have proof they cheated. (You wouldn �t believe how many of them actually take the bait!) For example:

Group 1:

I�m sure she�d love �� dinner with us.                                                                 
a
having              b have                       c to have

Group 2:

I�m sure she�d love �� dinner with us.                                                                 
a
having              b to have                       c have

...Just make sure there are enough of these slight differences for you to either prevent them from cheating or catch them cheating...with proof!Wink

P.S.: As cauffeepot suggested, another good idea is to give them some open-type questions. I �d also suggest similar rubrics between the two groups in this case, as well - they �d make it easier for you to check who �s cheating.

Hope that helps!

28 Nov 2010     

1    2    Next >