Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Can you say "At 5 pm, Johnny will have learned how to use all Future Tenses!"    

Can you say "At 5 pm, Johnny will have learned how to use all Future Tenses!"

Panteleimon
Greece

or better "by 5pm" I just want to know if "at" is applicable for future perfect!

3 Dec 2010      

Redbull
Thailand

Personally I would use by 5pm, Johnny will have learned how to use all future tenses.

But nothing wrong with at 5pm, Johnny will have learned how to use all future tenses.

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

3 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

As Redbull said, "at" isn �t wrong, but people wouldn �t say it, because nothing is happening at 5pm. The learning will happen before then.

Bruce

3 Dec 2010     

el_profe55
Argentina

both of them are correct, but personally I would use by

Have a nice day!

Alex Carr

3 Dec 2010     

Panteleimon
Greece

Bruce

"As Redbull said, "at" isn �t wrong, but people wouldn �t say it, because nothing is happening at 5pm. The learning will happen before then"

This is not applicable to Greece because learning actually occurs after school when private tutorials begin for students. So learning in Greece actually occurs after 4 pm

3 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

That is SO not fair, Panteleimon! This is exactly the kind of attitude that makes students not pay attention at school, no matter how hard teachers try...
How would it sound to you if state school teachers started saying that private teachers usually only have the Certificate of Proficiency and no University Degree (ergo, private teachers may have a good grasp of the language, but no cultural or pedagogical knowledge)? Doesn �t sound nice, does it?
I know I �d never say that, because I �ve also worked as a private teacher and I know that there are many good colleagues in them and that a University Degree doesn �t necessarily make you a good teacher...I �ve met some great colleagues both in private and in state education, just as I �ve met bad teachers in both...
So be careful when you say that children don �t learn at school; there are many who don �t learn during private tutorials or private language schools, either, because they just don �t want to learn or because teachers in the private field (have to) lie about their students � achievement, only because they (or their bosses) don �t want to lose "customers"...
Thank you.

P.S.: We teach our students that they shouldn�t make generalisations, as they�re the root of all sorts of prejudice. Wouldn�t that sound more convincing if we set an example ourselves?

3 Dec 2010     

mariby22
United States

by 5 om sounds better

6 Dec 2010