Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > vocab question    

vocab question

MsPoppins
Spain

vocab question

Dear All,

I have a doubt about one word we use in Spanish, it is "puff". If you go to the link below you can see what we call "puff".

http://www.google.es/images?um=1&hl=es&biw=1280&bih=591&tbs=isch%3A1&sa=1&q=puff&aq=f&aqi=g10&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Now, my question is: how is this thing called in English? Do you have the same word?

Thanks a lot!!
Have a nice Wednesday!!
MsPoppins Smile

8 Dec 2010      

ellakass
Israel

I think it is puff in all languages. We say it in Russian and in Hebrew too. Maybe native speakers have another version?!

8 Dec 2010     

edrodmedina
United States

Hello... I �ve heard it called a beanbag chair. Ed

8 Dec 2010     

Redbull
Thailand

YES WE DO HAVE A WORD FOR THIS.......... CUSHION! OR BEANBAG!

REDBULL GIVES YOU WINGS YOU KNOWWink.

8 Dec 2010     

magneto
Greece

Just googled beanbag chair, as Ed suggested, and it matches the images.

8 Dec 2010     

joy2bill
Australia

Back in the �70 �s and 80 �s we called it a pouff.
Today I would probably say beanbag.

8 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

These are beanbag chairs, as are some of the others. The first one in your link is a convertable chair. The difference is in the "stuffing". A beanbag chair is filled with small pellets of some material like styrofoam. Also, the chair usually conforms somewhat to your body when you sit in it.

Bruce

8 Dec 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

Compare  beanbag (also bean bag; very comfy), pouffe (also pouf) and ottoman (or even ottoman pouffe!).

I guess nowadays the beanbag has become the most popular. Beanbags are more like lazy chairs whereas pouffes and ottomans would be rather used for putting up your feet (though you can sit on them).

8 Dec 2010     

MsPoppins
Spain

I �m glad you  have all helped me. I wasn �t able to find the word although I tried!!

Many thanks to all of you!!!

MsPoppinsSmile

8 Dec 2010     

stexstme
France

Very useful! I was not very sure about these different words either ...Thx MsPoppins & Philip.

Sylvie

8 Dec 2010