Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Suggestions are more than welcomed!!!    

Suggestions are more than welcomed!!!

kprichorniana
Mexico

Suggestions are more than welcomed!!!

Season Blessings to ALL!!!

Dear Colleagues,  

I �m here asking for your wonderful help one more time...For the end of this semester, my students have been working on projects.  These projects will be presented orally.  They have elaborated a biome poster for an animal of their choise and also a speech(which would be their oral presentation.). All parents were invited to come see their child present his/her proyect in the classroom. But the presentation of proyects is more a way of showing parents that their children are in fact adquiring the language.  This is all really cool, because the kids are really into it and their posters and speeches are GREAT!!! The problem I �m facing now is completing the itinerary of the school day. 

You see, the thing is:  parents will be coming in to experience a school day with their child.  They will be taught in English by their child and they will be sitting in their chairs and all that.  The presentations of the projects will last aproximately an hour and 30 minutes (in total including all the students.)   

There will be some caroling and some snaks to share but...I �m short ONE activity...THE PARENT/CHILD ONE ON ONE ACTIVITY...WHere the whild gives instructions and guides his//her parents in the completion of the assignment.

MY PROBLEM IS I CAN"T THINK OF WHAT ACTIVITY/ASSIGNMENT TO HAVE TEM DO!

PLEASE!!! Any suggestions are welcomed.  Something crafty would do.

Thank you much for reading!

God Bless!

Elida

8 Dec 2010      

ELOJOLIE274
France

that �s easy:
ask the child to draw something (for example a house) - then ask them to describe the drawing to their parent(s) so that the parents can reproduce the drawing ex: there �s a big house in the middle, with 3 windows and a door. there �s a chimney on the roof. the roof is yellow, and the house is pink with blue windows. in the background there �s a lake, and there �s a boat on the lake. on the left there �s a black car... I did that activity with my pupils 2 years ago and they were very surprised to see how different was the 2nd picture from the 1st one!!!
take care

8 Dec 2010     

roneydirt
United States

Well can go some of the English words you are using are misspelled as an evil teacher, but won �t.  Only mention it.

On the idea.  You can have the students give step by step directions to the parent on how to make or draw the animal they did or pick one for the whole class to teach to the parents to draw and decorate.  It can be done as a competition too.  Where the best teaching by student to parent and best outcome of the project by class vote...  granted all will vote for their parents � usually depending on the actual age and then reward all the students and parents with a small prize like a special snack.  Make sure you have a "oh my God you all won" look on your face as you give the special snack.  Give the snack to the student to give to the parent as a reward.  One quick idea.

8 Dec 2010     

VaneV
Costa Rica

Maybe you can play Bingo with SS and parents (with all the animals from the SS speeches).

You can find some Bingo ideas here in Vocabulary, Animals, WS.

All have fun and play together. Smile

Good Luck!

8 Dec 2010     

ellakass
Israel

Word search (animals or something related to your theme) on a big sheet of paper for the groups pupils-parents.

Good luck!

8 Dec 2010     

kprichorniana
Mexico

Well. First of all thank you for your answers...

Aaaaaand [RONEYDIRT] I �M SORRY FOR MISSPELLING SOOOOOOOOMANY WORDS!!! It is no excuse, but I was speaking in Spanish to a colleague about this same thing as I was typing away!!! So sorry and sooooo embarrassed! Embarrassed My writing is usually not soooo bad! LOL (RIGHT!) Thanks for your wonderful suggestions!

Blessings

8 Dec 2010     

crisholm
Spain

Perhaps it would be more fun to make a list of TPR actions... sit down, touch your nose, shake your leg, etc... and have them perform. The overall impression would be very active and the children would get real fun out of it!

9 Dec 2010