Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > What would you say?    

What would you say?

GIOVANNI
Canada

What would you say?

When in a restaurant I normally use" May I have a coffee please, could I have a coffee or I would like a coffee".  I have heard several people use "I will take a coffee".  I would use this if I say "I take sugar in my coffee" or I would use "take" if I want to take a coffee out.  Does � �I will take a coffee please � � sound right to you?

9 Dec 2010      

Zora
Canada

Hi there Giovanni,

I �d never use "I will take a coffee...". It sounds like a very literal translation from Spanish (or other Latin based languages, perhaps) to me. I might say though, "I �ll take my coffee with me" if I want it to go as you stated before. Although, I don�t really know if in other countries, it �s used that way... I guess I �ll wait and see what other natives have to say.

9 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

If the question is "what �ll you have?", there �s no reason why you shouldn �t say "I �ll take/have..." etc when you�re making a choice.

9 Dec 2010     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

That sounds like American English.
EDIT: - I�ll take - sounds like AmE.

9 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

What does?

9 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

@almaz - I agree with you when making a choice.  What I find is that in French, take is used for this, and people are making a direct translation because Canada is French and English speaking.  I hear "I will take a coffee please," but it just doesn �t sound right to me.  I was taught to use "I will have a coffee please."

@Linda, thanks Linda, I tend to feel the same way.

9 Dec 2010     

moravc
Czech Republic

I will take... is Czenglish :-) too

9 Dec 2010     

Errie
Japan

When I �m going to drink some coffee somewhere with a friend I usually say I �ll take a coffee and you?, I �ll have a coffee or coffee will do it for me and all the other expressions mentioned in the above posts. It just depends on the situation I think.

10 Dec 2010     

MoodyMoody
United States

I �d say, I �ll pass on the coffee thank you. But I �m crazy: I hate coffee, even the smell of coffee, even mocha ice cream.  Tongue

10 Dec 2010     

teachertonyinchina
China

I would use; May/can I have a coffee please, could I have a coffee or I would like a coffee please.

10 Dec 2010     

Apodo
Australia

I would never use �I �ll take coffee � when ordering in a cafe. It sounds very odd to me.

I �d like coffee please.
I �ll have coffee please.

I take sugar in my coffee.
I take medicine when I have a cough.

You can use take for a choice, but not when ordering in a cafe.

Which road are you going to take?
Take a left turn at the intersection.

10 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >