Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Earth - The earth ??    

Earth - The earth ??

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Earth - The earth ??

Hi,
As we know that the article  the   is used with an object which it is the only one such as the sun and the moon ?

Why this word ( earth ) is used differently ? 

Sometimes , it is used The earth , and sometimes it is used Earth ?

What is the difference in using ??

Thanks a lot in advance,
:)

11 Dec 2010      

donapeter
Romania

I just can �t help myself noticing that you are always in a difficulty and you are always crying for help! Lucky you! You have us!
Well.....Earth -written with capital letter means planet Earth. Earth written in lowercase means also dirt, soil, ground. So, the difference is that the first one is a proper noun, the second one- a common noun.
On the other hand, Earth can be used in fix collocations as in "why on earth....?" .
Then, planets , in general, do not take The as an article. The Earth seems to be an exception.

Anyway, the answer is always here, we just have to Google a little and ...here it is...we find it!!!
I recommend this article : :http://englishwithjennifer.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/english-articles-one-of-the-trickiest-grammar-topics-on-earth/

11 Dec 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Yes, I know that I always ask for help.
What �s wrong with that ?!!!

I come here to find help :)

By the way thank you

11 Dec 2010     

elprofe55
Argentina

There �s nothing wrong with that! 

I think this is one of  the forum �s purpose, Ask for help. Wink

The fact is that some people love personal attacks, pick quarrels, etc. just to make people feel uncomfortable. Luckily we �re not as clever as "them". 

Believe me, don �t pay attention to those comments! Some people (like me) is glad to help you!!!

Have a nice day!

11 Dec 2010     

donapeter
Romania

@elprofe55.
I don �t see your help here! Ermm

11 Dec 2010     

elprofe55
Argentina

You can see it everywhere! Wink

11 Dec 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Hi,

I believe Dona said that because she wanted to remind you of how welcoming people were when you uploaded your first printable. People tried to encourage you to become an active member of this great place.

Regards

11 Dec 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

Please don �t change this topic into another one.

I respect everybody here and I know most of people here are very helpful as the ones who replied above.

Please I really want more help to differentiate between The earth and Earth .

I want my sts to differentiate.  They will confuse because we say  The sun   and the moon .

Why can �t we say the earth because it is only one object ????

11 Dec 2010     

elprofe55
Argentina

we say the Earth, the Moon, The Sun (in capital letters because they are only one - proper nouns-)

But if you refer to the earth (dirt, soil) this is a common noun so it�s not capitalized.

11 Dec 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

I asked about when using the erath and earth ????    with articles or without

11 Dec 2010     

elprofe55
Argentina

you can use both of them, The Earth or Earth (capitalized, that �s the important thing)

11 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >