Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Ditch    

Ditch

blunderbuster
Germany

Ditch

Hi,

I am making some sentences that students should put into the passive.

My students do not know the word "dig" yet. Can I say "make a ditch and fill it with water" "put a ditch around the castle and fill it with water" or do the latter sound weird?

Thanks

12 Dec 2010      

Pinky Makus
Canada

Check you PM.

:)

Edit:  Sorry.  I got distracted by my son.  I just sent you a message.

12 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Generally a ditch is made by digging.  You can put in a drainage ditch.  If you are referring to a real castle I would use moat and not ditch.
"put a ditch around the castle and fill it with water" does sound a little strange to me, unless children are making a sandcastle and they say "put a ditch around the castle and fill it with water", meaning place a ditch, and not dig.

12 Dec 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you,

that is what I have now: "That�s why Richard�s men put a ditch full of water around the castle", so I better use "moat" instead.

My smileys are screwed up...

;o)

;o)

12 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

No, it was the city ditch that flowed into the castle �s moat and it produced a foul smell.  King Richard didn �t like it at all.Smile

12 Dec 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

12 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

You are right.  King Richard was a very wise man.  But, the poor man dug himself into a hole because he had to endure the smell that surrounded his castle.  There is no way that he could dig himself out of that one.  Moat, or no moat!Smile

12 Dec 2010     

blunderbuster
Germany

Thank you Giovanni. Big smile

12 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

My pleasure.

12 Dec 2010