Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > ....I NEED YOUR OPINIONS....., PLEASE    

....I NEED YOUR OPINIONS....., PLEASE

Baadache
Canada

....I NEED YOUR OPINIONS....., PLEASE

Hello,

I am a bit confused and I want your opinion and comments about my brief lesson plan.

I am going to start my first class with a level 1 beginner student (I don �t know about his background knowledge in English language) who is an accountant in a firm in Montreal , Canada.

I have made my own  lesson plan, of 60minutes, so I suggested the following (briefly):

Warm up: where I introduce myself at the same time have an idea about student �s ability to introduce oneself. Then I reinforce greeting skills  ....15mnt

step 1, .....20mnt
To get motivated, I show him/her, as a game, three colorful cards with questions in degrees of importance,like :GREEN CARD what is your ful name? Are you an accountant? where do you work? ORANGE CARD
: Do you like travelling? what is the name of your pet? what is your favourite colour? then RED:.....
Student will answer the questions orally and write the answer on a sheet. (to see his speaking, listening and writing skills, grammar....etc)

Step 2, .....15 mnt
student this time will ask the questions to the teacher.(a kind of conversation)

Step 3,......10 mnt
Student uses his previous answers to write a paragraph. (OR Teacher asks the student to find 5 words related to each of the following categories and write them in a table down on a sheet. eg, office, family, school, travel, and clothes . Then form sentences of his/her own)

What do you think ??

15 Dec 2010      

manonski (f)
Canada

Hi

It �s hard to evaluate your lesson plan. If the person is a true beginner, how do you know he �ll be able to answer questions such as "Do you like traveling?"  I don �t think a beginner can anwer that much less write a paragraph about answers he would have gotten.

Your ideas are good, I �m not certain they are appropriate for the level of your student.

Maybe I �m missing information about your student or what you want to do exactly.

15 Dec 2010     

ironik
Australia

manonski is right, it �s more or less an elemantary plan, not beginner.�

one more thing, I don �t think the first parts will last that long, especially warm-up and part 2. they will probably last 5 minutes each. however, writing could take 20 minutes or so (depending on how much you want him to write, of course) because writing is usually the hardest thing to do for lower levels. and as an adult, he would probably want to make a perfect writing. so, it will take more time. and I recommend you to adapt your lesson according to his needs. Will he use English in daily speech, business talks or letters etc. good luck!

15 Dec 2010     

[email protected]
United Kingdom

Hello,

I wanted to make a comment about your lesson plan,

Your ideas are good but if you are teaching this student for one hour, and you don �t know their current ability, you really are going to need a lot more material than that. Believe me, I �ve learned this the hard way. You need to prepare as if your student:

1. Knows nothing (unlikely if s/he �s living in Canada)
2. Knows basic words but no grammar (ie can �t properly makes Qs)
3. Knows basic phrases (like a tourist), and can ask easy Qs
4. Can make basic conversation

There are lots of different types of beginners, including ones that aren �t very good at tests but actually can speak reasonably well. For this reason you ought to do  lots and lots of preparation for the first lesson.  You �ll use it again at some time, so just over-prepare, have enough photocopies and flashcards etc. I know it �s time-consuming, but unfortunately it �s necessary.

Just for example: According to your lesson plan the student will ask the teacher Qs for 15 minutes. Look at it the other way round - if you were a beginner- a complete beginner -  at (say) Swedish, how many Qs would you be asking your teacher after 1/2 hour? Could you really fill 15 mins? You �ll need flashcards with the question words on (where, why), themes to talk about that s/he can understand, and so on. Perhaps you should  have pictures as stimulus to help him/her - Where is he going? What colour is the dog? and so on...

On the other hand, if your so-called beginner actually has a reasonable bank of words, s/he might find your lesson a little easy, and possibly (colour-coded Qs) a little patronising. But if you �ve over-prepared, you can easily pull something out which is harder.

I am not the God of English Teaching, so please don �t read my words as being from a �know-all �, but I have been in a position like yours before & I wanted to help!

Alex

15 Dec 2010     

martinasvabova
Czech Republic

It might be a good idea to download some speaking cards here, only for the case you will have 10 minutes till the end of the lesson and nothing to do.

15 Dec 2010     

gloriawpai
Brazil

I think everyone has said it all, specially Alex. I myself have also been in situations when classes weren �t over and I wasn �t prepared with activities to last longer so nowadays I �m always over prepared and with plans A, B, C, etc . If plan A didn �t work, then I �d use plan B and so on.

Good luck!!

15 Dec 2010     

PhilipR
Thailand

I am confused. Are you going to teach this student English or Arabic?

If your student is an accountant working in Canada, surely he can �t be an absolute beginner (in English) - even though he lives in Montreal?

Download some �Getting to know you � stuff from this site like this, and you �ll be okay for an hour. Get to know him the first lesson, ask about his needs and expectations and then plan accordingly for the next lessons.

16 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

@Phil - You would be surprised how many people born  in Canada don �t speak English.

I teach English near Montreal and most of my students were born in Canada and have very little knowledge of English.  They are not absolute beginners but not far from there.

16 Dec 2010     

manonski (f)
Canada

I second that Giovanni!

16 Dec 2010     

melahel7
Canada

May I emphasize that Nancy is refering to people living in QUEBEC.  Very few people OUTSIDE Quebec are absolute beginners and if there are any, it would be perhaps the ones living in eastern Ontario, Manitoba or Saskatchewan.  Yes Philip, many people do not speak english in Montreal.   Montreal is often portrayed as an english-speaking cosmopolitan city when in fact French is spoken by the majority.  However, English made substantial gains over the past twenty years.  Canada as a country is often ill-understood when it comes to what language is used.  Let me break it down for you.  Quebec-French  Other provinces-mostly English.  New Brunswick is the only official bilingual province.  If you teach ESL in Canada, you probably are from Quebec.  Ask any of the top members.

16 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

You are right Melahel7, I was referring mainly to people living in Quebec, but there are many ESL schools in Canada.  I grew up in Toronto and because of the large immigrant population there are many good ESL schools in Toronto as well.

16 Dec 2010     

1    2    Next >