Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Teen motivation    

Teen motivation

Biadd
Brazil

Teen motivation

Hello everybody!!!

The headteacher of the school where I work  has asked me to participate of the next school training talking about how to motivate teenagers in our English classes. I �d like to receive some suggestions theory and mainly practice on this subject.

Thanks in addvance,
Bia

16 Dec 2010      

jrg2
Japan

Hi Bia,

Yeah, I struggle with that.  Especially that 12-15 age group.  Recently I experimented with a TPR model that was designed for teaching TPR to adults.  But, I used it with students aged 10-15 and went through the model faster than they recommended for adults.  I found the model here in this article:

According to the article, it�s intended for adults who are true beginners, but I found it really useful with kids in Japan from ages 10-15.  So, I�ve adapted it for my classrooms.
It�s a low intensity way to get people responding to English in a quick way.

So here is my process below.  I didn�t stick very closely to the model, but I used it as a starting point.  Here�s what I did...

My process:

1. For the first lesson I tried this method, I introduced, "Point to the--" and I chose three familiar objects in class that they already knew the vocabulary for (clock, fan, tv). 
  - From this point I followed the basic model described in the article.  It worked really well,
and it had the students intrigued
   - The key points: students were not allowed to speak and are expected only to start listening to and recognizing natural English; and it �s just pointing. 
         -  Anyone can do it, and it doesn �t require doing anything uncomfortable.
         - When you mix up the actions, it becomes like a game.
         - Everybody must succeed (or be given the full opportunity to succeed), so it really binds the class together

2. The second lesson I introduced: "Clap once", "Clap twice", "Clap three times".  They enjoyed making some noise, and it was a good gradual step up from simply pointing at something.

3. The third lesson I introduced "Look at the clock", "Look at the roof", "Look back". 
   - They started moving more of their body, and they thought it was funny to look back.

4. I introduced something more physical.  "Touch the floor", "Touch the desk", "Touch the sky". 
   - On the last point I tried to do something funny like twinkle my fingers and make a funny noise.  It was hit or miss with classes, but it was usually good.

5.  By this point students started to get bored with new commands. 
   - The article suggested getting adults to speak only after something like 10 hours of instructions. 
   - But it seemed like a good time to get them to repeat, and as according to the article, focusing on mimicking natural English as best as possible.
   - It worked for the time-being on getting them more involved, because now they really wanted to speak natural English

6.  From this point forward the students were more comfortable to get involved in activities that required movement.  I mixed the TPR with:
   -  charades games
   -  gesture-based activities
   -  using commands (especially in activities with each other, like telling one another to "Dance!" or "Walk around the classroom"
   -  teaching adverbs (e.g. Stand up quickly, slowly, crazily, strangely, excitedly, happily, etc.)
   -  speed race activities that focus on responding naturally to commands without translation

To be honest, I just wanted to share this with someone.  I have no idea if it is applicable to other classrooms, but it solved a lot of the problems I was having with teens. Namely things like fear of trying or shyness.  It really helped.

Anywho, that �s all!

John

17 Dec 2010     

Pretty3
Saudi Arabia

You can motivate teenagers by teaching them interesting topics relating to their interests.

17 Dec 2010