Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Problem with Pharasal Verbs    

Problem with Pharasal Verbs

rose95
Turkey

Problem with Pharasal Verbs

I have a student who has to learn(memorize)the most common pharasl verbs in a short time. Since there are sooooo many of them and keeping them all in mind for a long time is sooooo difficult, can you suggest an effective way that she can both memorize them easily and learn them by heart?

Thanks a lot in advance and

21 Dec 2010      

Tatyana83
Armenia

Make a funny story which would include all the words. If there too many words make several stories.  When you connect all the words with on PLOT you �ll see how easy it would be to remember the words

21 Dec 2010     

zoemorosini
United States

I would propose flash-cards with the phrasal verb on one side with an example, and the definition or explanation in other English words on the other.

Some suggestions:
get up (move the body from a prone or seated position to an upright one)
look up (look for information in a book, encyclopedia, dictionary or online)
pick up (lift or collect from a place)
do over (repeat)
hand in/pass in (give to the teacher or other authority)
give back (return something to its owner)
give up (stop trying)

Good luck!

21 Dec 2010     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Phrasal verbs are very hard to learn.  It comes as second nature to a native because phrasal verbs are used a lot more in conversational English than they are in formal English.  A good way to learn is  to watch television and listen to the radio because phrasal verbs are constantly used.    When I use phrasal verbs I start early on with wake up, get up etc. 
I tend not to teach too many at a time as they are often confusing and sometimes take on other meanings. 
I always try and use a couple of phrasal verbs when I speak and make sure the students understand.  I repeat, repeat, repeat. 
For example if I use hand out in my conversation I make sure to use it several times that day and will repeat the same thing the next day.
P.S.  Learning Phrasal Verbs a lot at a time isn�t something that you can memorize quickly and learn to use effectively in a short period of time.  They are eaisly forgotten.

21 Dec 2010