Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Is there a word in English to define in an informal way a woman who is only worried about housework, gossip programmes, talking about her own problems with her children, etc.?    

Is there a word in English to define in an informal way a woman who is only worried about housework, gossip programmes, talking about her own problems with her children, etc.?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

Is there a word in English to define in an informal way a woman who is only worried about housework, gossip programmes, talking about her own problems with her children, etc.?

In Spanish we have the word "maruja" and we use it a lot. I wonder if there is an equivalent in English.
Thanks in advance
Yolanda

27 Dec 2010      

yanogator
United States

Yolanda,
I did a little research for you, and the closest I can find is "busybody", but that only covers the gossip part of it. The Yiddish word "yenta" comes closer to "maruja", and some English-speaking people use it, but it isn �t an English word.

Bruce

27 Dec 2010     

foose1
United States

My mother would call them a worry wart.  I don �t know where it comes from.  I just know my mother said it all the time and she comes from Kentucky out in the hicks.  I never heard anyone else but her family from Kentucky say it.  As Bruce stated, "a busy body" is what I normally hear or a nosey person or sometimes referred to as a trouble maker.

John

27 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

I don �t think there �s a single-word English equivalent of �maruja � - other than �housewife � - although you may be looking for something closer to �(stereo-) typical housewife �, as opposed to, say, �homemaker �.
Interestingly, a gossip of either sex is known as a sweetie-wife in Scotland.

27 Dec 2010     

Disappointed
United Kingdom

There are a few words you could use such as self centered and/or egocentric to name but two.  

Have a happy holiday!

Charles

27 Dec 2010     

tastybrain
Taiwan

I �d go with busybody.

27 Dec 2010     

almaz
United Kingdom

No, a busybody concerns him/herself with other people �s business; Yolanda is referring to a specific type whose life and interests revolve almost exclusively around her home and family and whose take on the outside world is determined by what she sees on tawdry daytime TV programmes like �S�lvame �.
(Have you seen Bel�n Esteban lately? Positively freaky, my dear....)

27 Dec 2010     

yanogator
United States

Thank you for the further explanation, almaz. I �ll change my answer to "a self-absorbed person". We really don �t have a single word in English for such a person.

Bruce

27 Dec 2010     

Disappointed
United Kingdom

We do have one one in English and in fact quite a few.  Let me repeat again:

Egocentric (Adj)

1. Holding the view that the ego is the center, object, and norm of all experience.

a. Confined in attitude or interest to one �s own needs or affairs.
      b. Caring only about oneself; selfish.

Philosophy
      a. Viewed or perceived from one �s own mind as a center.
      b. Taking one �s own self as the starting point in a philosophical system.

28 Dec 2010