Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > low level students    

low level students

nounou96
Albania

low level students

Cry I really need your help

my students are very poor at English. I spent two tiring months with them but the results weren �t good. I �m really thinking about their final exam!
Can you please send things to help ?
Shall I do quizzes every day ?

After 10 days they will have their speaking quiz. they will be asked to describe pictures/ scenes. Can you send some scenes I can use in class...

29 Dec 2010      

Mabdel
Morocco

Dear colleague!
Hope you �re doing well! Frankly speaking ,I don �t know how can we  afford help in such case! But, these are some tips that may be useful :
 make your students love your class, be closer to them, listen to them carefully , be friendly, helpful, smily, kind ...
 Adopt a friendly and anxiety-free atmosphere.....
use methods and techniques that appeal their interests
help them to build their self confidence, believe in them, ask them to make lists of their strentghs and weaknesses .
 involve them in different activities, role plays, mini projects; group work, movies, tapes.
Help them to develop their intrinsic motivation by reminding them explicitly about the importance of learning English.
Praise them,try to reward them, give positive feedback on their performance, encourage them to use effective strategies of learning and communication, never talk down to them......
Allow mistakes and accept their errors......
Get them set their own goals and encourage them to go beyond the classroom....
Vary your lessons and spice them according to their needs and interests.
 Yet, there is no a perfect teacher. Everytime you walk into the classroom to teach something, you face a new issue.
That �s all ! wish you all the best of luck!
Ps if you need some of my worksheets, Don �t hesitate!

29 Dec 2010     

suhakhader
Jordan

Hi nouno,

Don �t worry! I think that our colleague,Mabdel, gave you very nice ideas and educational behaviours that  should be done in the classroom. I totally agree on each advice he wrote to you.
I also would like to focus on the words: get them involved in role plasy, simple and short group work, projects, songs, videos(especially power points are done for their level) if they get noisy and you can �t control them try not to use group work a lot. Plus, do encourage them to write and practise reading simple paragraphs or articles. I advise you not to talk in English all the time, but use both languages, your mother tongue and Englsih language.  Say the sentence in simple English then repeat it in your language andsay it again in English. This will help them understand what you are saying and what you want to convey. 
I know it is not easy. I had a difficult experience with my students in the 10th grade who were very poor at English, but after 3 months and exactly in the second semester, they got much better.  Games (board games) for new vocabulary after introducing them (flash cards(not necessarily ready ones, you could do them yourself , having jigsaw reading and grids to be filled by them will be very nice activities.  Practise and repetition will teach them. 

Do the spelling bee competition with them. This will help them remember the spelling of the words and the words themselves.( this encludes spelling, writing letters, then the whole word - reading)
Use telling short stories to illustrate grammar. They will love it.

P.s: Which grade are they?

Hope I added something helpful to you. I am ready to help as much as I can!

29 Dec 2010     

nounou96
Albania

Thank you much very  for the advice. Of course , what both of you said is helpful

you know I teach prep year students ( ie students who have done six years of English) but I always feel I am teaching beginners. What makes matter worse for me and for them as well is the fact that they study foooouuuur hours a day , two units a week so do you imagine how much work they are supposed to do every week ?!

Some of them are really improving but many others are not. How can I prepare them for their speaking exam ? they are supposed to describe a scene and answer a couple of questions.

30 Dec 2010