Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > PASSIVE CONSUMERS     

PASSIVE CONSUMERS

GIOVANNI
Canada

PASSIVE CONSUMERS

In response to Sruggy�s comment that some members are �passive consumers� perhaps this could be solved by members having to contribute at least one worksheet every three months.  If the member doesn�t make a contribution within that time he or she  would lose his or her 30 free downloads.    I know many people may not like this, but I also feel that for some members once the 30 free downloads are attained they no longer contribute.  I am only making my assumption on  statistics and often you know which members frequently upload material.  This is a site to share material not only to take.  I may be wrong, but let me know what you think?

8 Dec 2008      

ironda
Spain

Good afternoon everybody!

I think you�re absolutely right! I am a member since a few days ago, and I try to give my best, not just download printables.

I also want to thank people who downloaded my worksheets for their nice comments! thanks a lot!!
Smile

8 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

I agrre with you Giovanni. Uploading at least on ws a month would be ideal. I have already mentioned this:

Today,8-12-2008, we are 96173 registered users and we have 102870 printables.  

about one worsheet uploaded per user??

Of course there are many people who register but don�t upload a ws. So they never become Premium members but there a lot of them who stop uploading as soon as they reach that status. It doesn�t seem to me that they are sharing as they should !!!!

8 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

I have been here for several months.  However, my contributions have not been so many as they have not been my downloads either.
What�s more, I have not been using my free 30 points lately.
There they are...

Sometimes it is not a question of laziness, but of lack of time.
All the material I have and give my students belong to books or is of my own but based on specific books (those I am using at present) to revise and reinforce functions and vocabulary which I consider is unlikely to be of some interest.
Besides, its presentation is very simple, quite unattractive compared to what we are used to seeing.

8 Dec 2008     

bigbang
Portugal

I agree with you but a ws every 3 months is too little for me. I would say a ws every two weeks. Sorry but I�m more demanding with myself and therefore with others, too.

8 Dec 2008     

Damielle
Argentina

Tere,

I think that you should upload your wss. Any material may be welcome!!! It may be specific to your teaching practise but the downloader can addapt it.

8 Dec 2008     

mena22
Portugal

I absolutely agree with you Giovanni! Something must be done! I hope Victor will have something to say on this issue just as he did this morning. Maybe time has come to rethink some of the rules to make sure the spirit of the site is kept: sharing -- giving and taking, a two way concept.

8 Dec 2008     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Thanks Dami, but I am too strict with myself in that sense.

If I can download good material, I want to offer good material as well..

Anyway, I have no prob with points, but was thinking of others... Smile

8 Dec 2008     

Mietz
Germany

I�m one of the passive consumers at the moment and I�m telling you - I�m feeling absolutely guilty about it. Cry I just didn�t/ don�t have time. I have worksheets, but it costs me so much time to convert them from OpenOffice to Word and I just don�t make it. :-( (OpenOffice documents are soo much smaller and they become huge, when you convert them into Word meaning, that I have to completely reformat the document...)
However I still absolutely agree, that there should be an obligation to upload material, though not just any "rubbish" to meet the requirement to upload one ws every three months. Given that we all have times, where we are too busy or for whatever reason non-creative, I think that one in three months is a good limit. I�ll comply asap ...Wacko

8 Dec 2008     

Choli
Argentina

I�m thinking out loud...
If we were asked to upload one ws compulsorily every month/two weeks, we would have an adverse effect. Teachers who are too busy or have a lack of time may upload ws which are of poor quality just to comply to the rules. And what�s more, we would have to scan through thousands of ws to find what we need every day.
We are having hundreds of new ws daily, isn�t that enough?
I think that people should upload their printables whenever they feel like it, when they have spare time to prepare valuable contributions.
What do you think?

Hugs,
Choli

8 Dec 2008     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Choli, I agree that it may be hard to upload every month/two weeks, I had every three to six months in mind.  Personally, I don�t think giving up 2 hours or so every few months is too much to ask.  I am sure we often create for our students.  I don�t think everything is taken from text books.  Why not pass what we create along?
Tere what may be unattractive to you may be very useful to others.  Stop being so hard on yourself.  From the comments you have made on this site, I can see you are a very resourceful person and that you have a lot of good ideas to share.   I have seen may worksheets on this site that may appear to be unattractive but are great worksheets.

8 Dec 2008     

1    2    Next >