Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > HOW LONG AGO    

HOW LONG AGO

Krysstl
France

HOW LONG AGO

Could you help me dear ESL friends ???

I �d like to know what you �d say when dealing with "HOW LONG AGO".
Would you speak about "duration" ?? I �m not sure... Wacko

5 Jan 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

My answer for "How long ago did you"  would be "Five years ago I......"..A duration  question would be "For how long did you teach in Guatemala?" The answer then would be a duration answer. "I taught for 5 years." Hope this helps. Ed

5 Jan 2011     

Krysstl
France

Thanks for your answer, dear Ed but.. how would you call it ? it �s not a duration, I agree with you so... what is it ??

5 Jan 2011     

dagn
France

i �d say it �s a date or a moment (in the past)

5 Jan 2011     

ldthemagicman
United Kingdom

Dear Krysstl,

I agree with Edromedina.

For my students, I would keep it simple!  I would say that the question: "How long ago did you ... ... ?" is a �WH Question �, because it begins with one of the words, "who/whom/whose; what; which; when; where; why; how"
OR ALTERNATIVELY: it is an Information Question, because the answer supplies information, (as opposed to a "Yes"/"No" Question and Answer).

"How long ago did you ... ... ?"
"Five years � ago, I ... ... "

Quirk et alia, 2010, (in the highly respected �A Comprehensice Grammar of the English Language �), under the heading "Time", page 481-482, discuss "Duration" and write ... ... "Temporal measure is seen as duration.  Linking durations to specific positions on the linear time scale, we have the concept of span.  .. ... "the FORWARD SPAN,  ... until, up to a specified point of time" and "the BACKWARD SPAN, ... since, from a specified point of time".
"... ... Then there are more general expressions of duration, without necessary relation to a particular point of orientation.  For example:"
"I am staying (for) three weeks".
"Here, the reference of the adverbial may extend both into the past and into the future from the time point of utterence; equally, it may refer to a three-week period at some unspecified time in the future, just as in the following example it can refer to an unspecified period in the past."
"I stayed (for) three weeks".
"The elicitation of duration as well as forward and backward span is usually achieved by the same question form, �How Long? �  (My underlining, Les D.) But for future and past extent, alternative forms are generally available, such as �Till when ... ...? � and �Since when ... ... ? � respectively." ... ...

Although this is a complicated explanation, I hope that it helps you to form a decision.

Les Douglas

5 Jan 2011     

Krysstl
France

Thank you so much for your kind explanations dear friends !!
I �ve got my answer Wink

5 Jan 2011