Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > to go play or to play    

to go play or to play

David Lisgo
Japan

to go play or to play

Can anyone explain the difference between these two sentences and, apart from the word "soccer", would one be more prevalent in the USA or Britain?

Let �s go play soccer on Saturday.
Let �s play soccer on Saturday.

Thanks,
David

11 Jan 2011      

alien boy
Japan

Hi David

あけましておめでとうございます!

According to Swann �s Practical English Usage (3rd ed) �Let �s go play soccer on Saturday � would be American while �Let �s go and play soccer � would be British. These would apparently both be informal English while �Let �s play soccer � would be considered more formal.

Cheers,
AB

11 Jan 2011     

foreverjinxed
South Africa

Perhaps the �go � indicates or suggests that soccer will be played at a specific place, rather than the place where the suggestion was made.

In South Africa, where we speak British English, I think we �d be slightly more likely to say "Let �s go play soccer on Saturday." but I think it �s negligible.

11 Jan 2011     

douglas
United States

I think "go play" simply focuses more on the action of traveling somewhere to play and "play" focuses on the act of playing.

On the soccer field or when I simply want to find a partner to play with (location to be determined) I say "let �s play soccer"

At a home or a bar (away from the playing field, but with a location in mind) I say "Let �s go play soccer"

Just my thoughts on it,

Douglas

11 Jan 2011     

David Lisgo
Japan

Thanks very much for everyone �s input; just what I was after.

11 Jan 2011     

tulpen25
Netherlands

I �ve never heard "go play football/soccer" in the UK. I �d always associate it with something that is/might be said in the USA.

12 Jan 2011