Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > What do you call the following in English?    

What do you call the following in English?

Yolandaprieto
Spain

What do you call the following in English?

When a student didn �t come to one of your classes because he went to the doctor ,for example, he has to bring an absentee ballot or what?
When a student has been punished because of his/her bad behaviour, he gets a ..........???
Thanks in advance for your help
Yolanda

14 Jan 2011      

edrodmedina
United States

Hello Yolanda...An absentee ballot is what you use to be able to vote if elections are being held and you are absent from your country, if your �e overseas for instance. A doctors note is what expect a student to bring in if he �s absent for an appointment. If a student misbehaves and has to stay afterschool we call it detention. He would have to serve an afterschool detention or in house detention. Is that what you were looking for? Ed

14 Jan 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Yolanda, I would agree with Ed regarding the absentee ballot.  When a student is away we call it an absence slip, or a doctor�s certificate.  If a student misbehaves they get a detention and it may also be a suspension if the student misbehaves really badly.

14 Jan 2011     

colibrita
United Kingdom

At school (many moons ago) we said "a doctor �s slip" or "a doctor �s note".

14 Jan 2011     

Yolandaprieto
Spain

But what happens when the student doesn �t go to the doctor and has to travel or some other thing? And if the kid misbehaves but doesn �t have to stay at school for longer than usual, it �s just one out of the three ones he/she needs to be sent home for some days?
Perhaps this only happens here in Spain, I don �t know but it is an effective way of making them respect the rules; discipline.
Yolanda

14 Jan 2011     

juliag
Japan

Hi Yolanda,

You mean when the student is forbidden to come to school for 2 or 3 days? In England we used the term "suspension" that GIOVANNI mentions to her post. I would say, "You are suspended for 3 days." etc. If they are forbidden to ever come to the school again and have to change schools we used to call it expelled, as in "You have been expelled."

Is this what you are looking for?
Hope it helps and have a lovely day.
Julia

14 Jan 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Others that are not a doctor �s note are called excuses some are valid others not so.
Check these out http://madtbone.tripod.com/school.htm A suspension is when he/she is sent home.

14 Jan 2011     

alien boy
Japan

I �m used to the following:

doctor �s or medical certificate in the event the student must seek medical advice;

a suspension (the student has been suspended temporarily from attending class) if it is a temporary absence enforced by school authorities;

expulsion (the student has been expelled) if it �s a �permanent suspension �;

if the student is absent with parental or guardian permission then it would be a letter advising this permission - a �permission slip � or simply �a letter � from his/her parents/guardians.

with regard to absentee ballot, as mentioned earlier that is to do with voting rights/privileges.

Cheers,
AB

14 Jan 2011     

juliag
Japan

Sorry, I think I misunderstood your meaning before, for an absence that is not related to health (for which I would use doctor �s note or sick note), I think we can say a note of absence. In this case the reason is unspecified so it could be several things, travel, a wedding etc.

If the student has misbehaved but not badly enough to require a suspension and you just want to send a message home to the parents to let them know about their child �s misbehaviour, I think you use something like "Notification of misconduct" or "Notification of Inappropriate Behaviour." But I can �t remember having anything like this at school, so if anyone has any better suggestions please do tell us all.

14 Jan 2011     

alien boy
Japan

the �notification of misconduct � was always just called  a �note � or �letter � to one �s parents when i was at school ... or at least that�s what the teachers used to threaten me with LOL

14 Jan 2011     

abba
Spain

This has nothing to do with misbehaving but  as I rfead te post it came to my mind. How do you call the note that a student makes with some notes to use it in an exam if he/she doesn �t know the answer? CRIB NOTE?

Thanks!!!!!

14 Jan 2011     

1    2    Next >