Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Ideas for evaluation    

Ideas for evaluation

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Ideas for evaluation

Hi there to everyone. It �s been a long time since i �ve been here last. And i haven �t been teaching for quite some time as well.
Now i �m starting with tutoring a boy grade 7, who wants to enroll to  a British curriculum school next year. Tomorrow i �m meeting him for the first time. My brain is realy not working properly yet)))
I was thinking of how to evaluate his level based on conversation. His parents say he has issues with word order and vocabulary. So i need to ask him to tell me a story or something)))
I have few ideas in mind like asking him to describe a picture or people around, telling me about his last holiday and stuff like that.
But may be some of my friends here with wider experience could give me a hint on more thorough techniques?

Thanks a lot and have a nice day.

23 Jan 2011      

coyote.chus
Spain

How about giving him different situations in which he has to make sentences. for example.

- Your friend has been caught chatting in an exam. What would you tell him
- You want to buy a new pair of jeans and go into a shop. Play the role of the customer. 8You can be the shop assistant)
- There has been an accident in your street and you witness everything. Call the police station and the ambulance.

And things like that...

23 Jan 2011     

GIOVANNI
Canada

When I do an evaluation I start with really easy questions.  Questions are based on certain levels.
For example
What is your name?
Where are you from?
Are you married? or if younger, Do you have brothers or sisters?
Do you have children?
How many children do you have?
How old are your children?
Do you have a pet?
With a  series of these type of questions I am able to see if they know the verb to be and to have.
I then ask questions regarding Simple Present Tense.  I normally ask for their routine.  With this I am able to see if they know the vocabulary for a routine and Simple Present Tense.
I have them ask me very simple questions to see if they know question formation.
I then continue with other tenses.  If they are able  to get as far as the Past Tense I have them tell me about a vacation they took and what they did on the weekend. 
I continue like this with the tenses and I also do situations.

With this I am able to evaluate their level of English.  Hope it helps.

23 Jan 2011     

Yulia Mo
Russian Federation

Thanks a lot for your help. I think i have a picture of what i �m gonna talk about. Really appreciate your help!!!

24 Jan 2011