Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Ruby Bridges īs story    

Ruby Bridges īs story

i_love_english
France

Ruby Bridges īs story

Hello, just a quick question:
Would you write:
Ruby Bridges īs story or ruby bridges � story?
From what I know, you īre only supposed to omit the "s" if the noun before is plural, eg: the babies � prams.
You īre supposed to keep the "s" with people īs names, eg: This is James īs car.

Still, on this particular example, I feel it īs a bit weird and hardly palatable to keep the "s"...
Does anyone know for sure what should be used?
Thanks a lot for your answers.
Steph

24 Jan 2011      

douglas
United States

I think I would make an exception for this one and say Ruby Bridges � story even though she is singular (problem being, of course that bridges is plural).

24 Jan 2011     

i_love_english
France

thanks a lot Douglas!

24 Jan 2011     

yanogator
United States

When it īs a multi-syllable last name ending in "s", most people would agree with Douglas on this. I īm more stubborn and would use Bridges īs, but probably wouldn īt pronounce the final "s", which is cheating.

Wow! I just thought about Ruby Bridges and her family together. They are the Bridgeses (although many people in the US would call them the Bridges �, because too many of my countrymen don īt know enough about apostrophes).

Bruce

24 Jan 2011