Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Question about writing an address    

Question about writing an address

Julia*
Germany

Question about writing an address

Hello dear colleagues,

I �m a little bit perplexed and I need your help. The thing is, I �m confused about the correctness of writing an address (correct order). In English speaking countries the order is:

number of a house/street/             24 Castle Street
city/                                                 Lancashire
post code/                                       LK 6
country

and in Germany the order is:

street/number of the house/          Green Str. 24
post code/city/                                 50900 Koeln
country

My question is, when students write a letter or an application, in what way they should write their own address according to the English variant or the way it is in home country???

Thanks in advance for your help!!!! Have a nice day!!!!

1 Feb 2011      

crisholm
Spain

I �m afraid this is a matter of cultural colonisation. My humble opinion is that you should always write your address in the form it is written where you live - imagine the poor Spanish postman trying to make out the different conventions for addresses depending on where the letter comes from.
Another thing is having students understand and practise addresses in English - you can use made-up addresses with a �new � identity, so as not to sound too absurd.

1 Feb 2011     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Julia*

There are a variety of different formats and it also depends on whether you are sending the letter domestically or internationally.

A useful site such as this provides info for different countries: http://www.bitboost.com/ref/international-address-formats.html#Formats

Hope it helps.

Cheers

Jayho

1 Feb 2011