Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A lovely, lively... and very bored... 6th grader with a broken collar bone    

A lovely, lively... and very bored... 6th grader with a broken collar bone

Pelletrine
France

A lovely, lively... and very bored... 6th grader with a broken collar bone

A great day to everyone ! Groundhog day : no shadow, seems this long winter might come to an end then?
Dear elsprintable friends, I really need your help:
in my 6th grade class, I have a girl (among 24 children). She has broken her collar bone, can �t write or carry anything. Her class mates help her very well, with writing tasks, schoolbag a.s.o. Normally, as long as we have oral activities, she �s OK, but very bored when we have to write things down. Tomorrow we have a written test, on �have got �, �be � and pronouns, I guess it will last the entire hour (50-55 mn).
Do you think you could come up with any ideas to keep her busy with English.... without sound and without writing???? ( she can manipulate a little with her left hand/arm). She loves English, but is so easily bored when she has nothing to do (who would blame her?)
Thank you all very much for whatever suggestion you could give me.
And... take care out there :o))

2 Feb 2011      

Catalina Sorina
Romania

What about giving her a short nice story to read?

2 Feb 2011     

silvanija
Lithuania

Can she put down sth like ticks or dots? If yes, she could read a text and then answer comprehension questions by  ticking correct answers. Maybe you can write sentences, cut them into pieces and give her to put them in order. The same can be done with a text - you can give her a jumbled text, she will have to read and to order.

2 Feb 2011     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Do you have any computer programs or games that have a touch screen?  Do you have an i-Phone or can you borrow one?  It could be interesting to find an English game where your student didn �t have to use a computer mouse....

What about a word sort or matching activity with word strips or flashcards?  She could quietly move cards around until they were in the right place. 

You could make up the same test or portions of the test, but have all the questions and answers cut into strips....

Does that make sense? 

Pinky

2 Feb 2011     

Pinky Makus
Canada

Oops sorry Silvanija!  We were thinking the same way!

If the girl cannot hold a pencil she could also indicate answers by putting a little ink on her finger with an inkpad and just touch the paper beside the right answer.

2 Feb 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

Can she sit away from others and dictate her answers into a recording device? There are many ppt games here where all she has to do is listen or read and click the mouse.

2 Feb 2011     

Pelletrine
France

Thank you very much for your helpful ideas :o))
- Unfortunately, I don �t have any electronic devices to lend her.... but making a question/answer sheet with cut up strips, as well as a cut up story, sounds a very good idea !
Btw, would any of you know some activity sheets which respond to this, or could serve as a model for me???
Thanks again, and
Have a great day/evening all of you :o))

2 Feb 2011     

silvanija
Lithuania

You can check mena22 wss, she has many reading comprehension sheets, maybe you will find sth useful. As for the text to jumble, I think you can take any from your course book, type it in bigger font and cut. It can also be a poem: cut it into lines and give them to her, after creating her poem she can check with the original one. Once I gave a gapped poem about Easter to my pupils, missing words were given separately. Children had to decide where to put them to get sense.  

2 Feb 2011