Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > be going to / will?    

be going to / will?

havpa
Portugal

be going to / will?

Hello dear colleagues!

Which do you think the correct form of the verb is?

I�m sorry but we are not going to be able / won�t be able to meet you tomorrow. Maybe next month.

Thanks in advance!

Good work to you all!

4 Feb 2011      

Yolandaprieto
Spain

I would say" I �m sorry but I am afraid We won �t be able to meet you tomorrow. Maybe next month.

Hope it helps
Yolanda 

4 Feb 2011     

havpa
Portugal

That �s my doubt...if I follow my intuition I �d say "won �t be able...", but according to the rule if we have the intention to do  or not do something, shouldn �t we use going to???? I �m really confused...

4 Feb 2011     

Akanah
Spain

I �d say it �s an instant reply and that �s why "will" is the correct answer.

4 Feb 2011     

bushey
Spain

Hi everyone,
I believe they �re both correct it just depends on the situation. If you decide at the moment of speaking I �d say "will" but say I was phoning someone to inform that I coulden �t make the meeting I �d use "going to". Hope it helps!

4 Feb 2011     

sona21
Czech Republic

"Will" ( won�t ) is usually used with the verb "be".

"Not going to be able" doesn�t sound natural.

4 Feb 2011     

edrodmedina
United States

I �m not going to be able to lift that box.

4 Feb 2011     

pilarmham
Spain

To me, it sounds like in this case GOING TO means We have no intention whatsoever, and WILL refers to future impossibility.
But this contradicts the rule, doesn �t it? Wacko

5 Feb 2011     

Apodo
Australia

Both are correct. I might use the second option in a more formal situation, but it doesn �t really make any difference. I prefer the first statement. 

I won �t be able to meet you tomorrow.

I �m not going to be able to go swimming for 6 weeks after I have my operation.

5 Feb 2011     

Mar0919
Mexico

"I �m sorry, but we are not going to be able to meet you tomorrow" = our plans to meet you have changed. We cannot fulfill them.

"I �m sorry, but we won �t be able to meet you tomorrow" = the decision has been made NOT to meet. No slight possibility.

Does this sound coherent? LOL!!! hope it helps!

But, yes, I do agree that sometimes in some contexts it is VERY difficult to decide which is correct, which should be used, and how sometimes the rules for each fall into contradiction!

Good night, all!!!

Hugs!

Mar

5 Feb 2011     

Lindax
Ukraine

We use will/won`t for promises.

So it`s 

We won`t be able to meet you tomorrow.

5 Feb 2011     

1    2    Next >