Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Need info/ideas about teaching negative questions    

Need info/ideas about teaching negative questions

sonicliz
United States

Need info/ideas about teaching negative questions

Hey all:

I�ll be teaching negative questions in a few days (questions such as "Don�t you know what time class starts?") and can see the difficulty in conveying this idea. Does anyone have any suggestions or handouts? I did a search and couldn�t find anything.

Thanks!

9 Dec 2008      

Vickiii
New Zealand

hi soni,

Maybe look up sarcasm or sarcastic sentence forms. 

10 Dec 2008     

wolfy
Chile

Very funny :)

You have to be careful with negative questions as they can sound very sarcastic. �I think with examples and tone you could convey the idea. �Very similar to absent question tags: "You are a teacher?" That sounds really offensive, doesn�t it, and I better explain it�s an example of sarcasm not a comment on Sonic or Vickii. OK?

You need to take something blatantly not true, with the most light hearted student you have and start asking the negative questions, but be very careful with this otherwise your student may take offence (which would mean that they understood). �

I see what you mean by the searching, it returns all "negative" and "question" not not both together.

Doesn�t anybody have a ws for this man?

10 Dec 2008     

Ciogga
Italy

http://www.proprofs.com/quiz-school/story.php?title=Practice-Negative-Questions-1

You could copy and paste the questions from this quiz and then discuss them with your students or else do it online. Be careful, question 10 marks you as wrong when you give the right answer.

Advanced Grammar In Use by Martin Hewings has an excellent section on negative questions if you can get hold of a copy.

10 Dec 2008     

Ciogga
Italy

http://www.scribd.com/doc/3827721/CambridgeEnglish-Advanced-Grammar-in-Use

Click on download then give your email address (or a false one if you don�t want to leave your own). The whole of Hewings book will come up as a scanned document and you can print of the relevant page for your students (unit 34). I recommend that you buy the book though. This copy isn�t the best quality.

10 Dec 2008     

sonicliz
United States

Thanks for all of you help! Loved your question about anyone having a ws, kevin!

10 Dec 2008