Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > "Two-tier" meaning    

"Two-tier" meaning

anuska8
Spain

"Two-tier" meaning

Hello everybody! I �m reading an article about schools in Northern Ireland and I ask for  your help. What do you understand by "two-tier" post primary system in this context?:

"Our "two-tier" post primary system increases the problems for seconday schools when some grammars....."

Thanks in advance!
Kisses. 

8 Feb 2011      

Zora
Canada

Well, usually a two-tiered system refers to a state run entity and a private run one, usually competing in the same market.

For example:

Canada has universal health care... i.e. most of it is state run. Whereas the US, while having state run hospitals, is mainly private, therefore having a two-tiered system that benefits those can pay for the better system.

8 Feb 2011     

imanito
Morocco

it means having two standards of treament or privilege
here I guess it means that students or educational system in general faces problems as far as the level of education is concerned because some sts choose state run schools while others private ones (the latter judged better)

8 Feb 2011     

anuska8
Spain

Thanks a lot!! I have no doubts right now :)

8 Feb 2011